Agritourism

MBK

I'm considering taking a month off, and doing some sort of volunteer vacation. Am open to pretty much anywhere in the world, and one thought I've had is doing something agritourism-related.

Anyone have any ideas, good experiences, or thoughts of resources for me to look into? Thanks!

WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

I have a friend who's currently WWOOFing through France and Italy, and she's happy as a pig in shit. And often spending much of her time, literally, with pigs in shit. Don't fool yourself: your accommodations are rough and your days are damn difficult--milking, corralling, and doing all sorts of farm-y things I can't begin to comprehend. But if you're like my friend, who eats raw kitfo in rural Ethiopia, makes her own tofu, and doesn't mind eating the lamb she helped birth a few weeks before, this is up your alley. She's dining on cheese she put up from a goat she milked and mussles she and her host picked off rocks on the beach steamed in vinegar made on the farm. If this is your type of thing, WWOOFing is for you.