Thai in East Falls Church

DonRocks

This sums up how I felt about here [Hoang's Grill and Sushi Bar] --the viewpoint really hasn't changed much in three years. Little man and I dined here last night with a friend and her daughter; she picked, since her daughter is the pickier eater and likes the food here.

The food is a bit overpriced for what you get. For $12.95 of lemongrass chicken, it came out with 3 skewers of thin-ish sliced marinaded chicken, with mostly a salad (plus two broccoli and one cauliflower florets) making up the entree. I was a bit disappointed, especially since what we were charged was for Four Sisters-type of prices, but not up to that par in flavor (even 4S is a bit expensive for me, so I feel really a bit miffed here). Having gotten that out of the way, it isn't bad, but I felt like the price-to-amount-of-food ratio was very off.

Funny, I got delivery last night from Sweet Rice, right down the street from Hoang's, but in a much less expensive shopping center, and felt kind of the same way in terms of price-to-amount-of-food. (I live equidistant between Thai Noy and Sweet Rice (neither of which has a thread here - how is that possible?), and my rule of thumb for Thai is: for dine-in, Bangkok Blues (because they have a bar and I enjoy the music); for carryout, the reliably good Thai Noy (with the slightly closer Ghin Na Rhee my second choice (I haven't tried Pilin Thai in several years)); for delivery, Sweet Rice - both Thai Noy and Sweet Rice advertise that they don't add any MSG; yet, I get the feeling Sweet Rice adds a fair amount of salt - I was very thirsty a couple hours after the meal.) The entrees were only $10.95, but with tax and driver tip, I was up over $30 for two relatively meager portions - between 6 PM and midnight, I finished both of them. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have Sweet Rice nearby, and have ordered delivery from them several times this year (although I should qualify that I don't know of any other Thai restaurant that delivers to my house).

My brother and sister-in-law used to order from Thai Noy almost exclusively. They noticed though that they felt the quality was going down and the price going up. After switching for a while to Pilin Thai, they now order always from Sweet Rice.

For dining in, last time I ate with them was at Pilin Thai, and we'd forgotten how much we like it while there. The curry puffs are brutally addictive, and the service and food was great. Alas, it was (as usual when I've been there) nearly empty.

Funny, I got delivery last night from Sweet Rice, right down the street from Hoang's, but in a much less expensive shopping center, and felt kind of the same way in terms of price-to-amount-of-food...and my rule of thumb for Thai is: for dine-in, Bangkok Blues (because they have a bar and I enjoy the music); for carryout, the reliably good Thai Noy (with the slightly closer Ghin Na Rhee my second choice (I haven't tried Pilin Thai in several years)); for delivery, Sweet Rice...Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have Sweet Rice nearby, and have ordered delivery from them several times this year (although I should qualify that I don't know of any other Thai restaurant that delivers to my house).

Bangkok Bistro and Thai Square deliver. They don't have a distance restriction on their site. (Isn't Bangkok Blues closed?)

My brother and sister-in-law used to order from Thai Noy almost exclusively. They noticed though that they felt the quality was going down and the price going up. After switching for a while to Pilin Thai, they now order always from Sweet Rice.

I've had food from both Thai Noy and Sweet Rice multiple times over the past year. One particularly off meal (of course, the night I was saying how good it was to Matt) stands out from Thai Noy - which tells me that they possibly have one great cook who was absent - but in general, I'm quite confident in saying that for carryout, Thai Noy is noticeably better than Sweet Rice. More expensive, yes, but the portions are more generous also. I don't think it would be possible for me to eat two entrees from Thai Noy (at least not without massive amounts of exercise earlier in the day).

Bangkok Bistro and Thai Square deliver. They don't have a distance restriction on their site. (Isn't Bangkok Blues closed?)

You're right - Bangkok Blues closed. When did this happen? I haven't been there in over a year, but I've been going there since the mid 1990s (back when it was Bangkok-Vientiane), and this is the first I've heard of it. This saddens me, believe it or not - I hope it's replaced by another decent restaurant.

[Discussion about Bangkok Blues continued here.]