FODMAP Diet

thetrain

Has anyone ever tried or heard of this diet?

Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and PolyolS (FODMAPs) are short chain carbohydrates (e.g. fructans, galacto-oligosaccharides, polyols, fructose and lactose) that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine. Ingestion of FODMAPs leads to alterations in fluid content and bacterial fermentation in the colon triggering functional gut symptoms in susceptible individuals.

Basically meat, seafood, and eggs are fine. Wheat is not, but oats are okay, and gluten free products (without High Fructose Corn Syrup) are encouraged. Some fruits and vegetables are okay, others are forbidden (apples apparently are satan's temptation). Milk is not allowed, but butter in small doses and hard cheeses are fine. No legumes. Maple syrup and molasses are okay, but most other sweeteners are out.

Basic lists:

http://fodmapdietrec...-food-list.html

http://www.ibsgroup....ntolerances.pdf

From what I've read, while it sounds restrictive, you aren't expected to stick to it 100% of the time. Also, you can try and figure out over time if there are particular groups that you are more sensitive to than others.

I know when I went to the nutritionist about all my stomach problems, once diagnosed, she had an interesting diet she suggested that we talked about, I think it might have been this diet. Then my symptoms mitigated somewhat, but seem to be back with a vengeance recently. I couldn't remember what the diet was, so am glad to have read this post. Yes, she had a system of eating certain groups of these foods to see what caused the most problems and then finding a workable solution. I didn't do it because of how restrictive it was and I seemed to feel a bit better, but may look at it again now as things in stomach land seem to be back to crazy.

Also the not having to stick to it 100% of the time part because if you live with IBS you know, you cheat you just feel bad, but sometimes it's worth it makes sense as this is a lifestyle not a true diet in the American sense of the word.

Sounds like a subset of paleo/primal-my sister has had very good results sticking to this kind of diet for several months now (she started in order to reduce her cholesterol & avoid going on bp meds, as well as to drop a few pounds). I eat this way when I am down visiting her, but at home, the rice, occasional cracker, & dairy have crept back into my regular meals. Sounds interesting, though....

This is interesting - looks less restricive than full paleo (which I don't think I could ever do), but might be worth trying to see if it helps with hubby's sensitive tummy. We know he doesn't have celiac, but something like IBS could be the cause of his distress - doctors have been largely noncommittal in terms of diagnosing anything.

What I find interesting is all these lists seem to have different things on the good and bad lists... If you are really interested the nutritionist I saw was really good, I would recommend her. Falls Church/Seven Corners area.

I've noticed during my research there are several things that are categorized different ways by reputable (i.e. Universities) sources - Avocado and Artichokes are two. I'm guessing its because this diet is relatively new and the Fructose/Glucose ratios it is based on have not previously been under such scrutiny, I also noticed several nutritionists seeking information on the diet as well, so I'm guessing there are still some things they are still figuring out.

Sounds like a subset of paleo/primal-my sister has had very good results sticking to this kind of diet for several months now (she started in order to reduce her cholesterol & avoid going on bp meds, as well as to drop a few pounds). I eat this way when I am down visiting her, but at home, the rice, occasional cracker, & dairy have crept back into my regular meals. Sounds interesting, though....

The fact that most cheeses and rice/corn wheat alternatives are allowed is the main reason I think this diet is doable for me (and I'm guessing others). I'll update and let you know how it goes.

This is interesting - looks less restricive than full paleo (which I don't think I could ever do), but might be worth trying to see if it helps with hubby's sensitive tummy. We know he doesn't have celiac, but something like IBS could be the cause of his distress - doctors have been largely noncommittal in terms of diagnosing anything.

It does overlap a little with a celiac diet - I'm wondering if non-celiacs who benefit from a gluten free diet are really not just enjoying the benefits of a reduced FODMAP diet. I'm guessing this is also part of the reason parents see digestive and mood improvement in some kids once they remove HFCS from kids diets. In my incredibly layman's view, it does make sense that foods that 'ferment' more would cause digestive problems.

I plan on following it for most (not all) my meals for a few weeks, I think the hardest thing for me to adapt to in my own cooking will be avoiding wheat, onions, and garlic.

My sister had a very difficult time with trying to find out what was causing her issues and discomfort. Turns out she is fructose intolerant, which this diet avoids as well. She can tolerate fructose in small amounts when balanced by eating glucose, as you touched upon. (She keeps a roll of Smarties in her purse!) Apparently a fructose intolerance is very difficult to diagnose and is missed quite often. Many think they are celiac or just gluten intolerant when actually fructose is the cause. Her diet is actually more restrictive than this, but I know she mentioned the FODMAP diet when she was first diagnosed.