want to help me pick wine?

I need a red and a white from this list:

http://www.joes.net/wp-content/uploads/Green-List-Chicago-03-15-13.pdf?03-26-2013

For a group of executives but hosted by a small non profit. That means I want to spend the least for the most. HELP! If I were not pregnant, I'd go taste all these myself but since that's not possible right now, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance to any of you who care to take on this task.

I need a red and a white from this list:

http://www.joes.net/wp-content/uploads/Green-List-Chicago-03-15-13.pdf?03-26-2013

For a group of executives but hosted by a small non profit. That means I want to spend the least for the most. HELP! If I were not pregnant, I'd go taste all these myself but since that's not possible right now, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance to any of you who care to take on this task.

I'll help you. Can you tell me a bit about these executives?

A lot of people enjoy the Codax Albariño, for example (mass-produced wine though it is), but the word "executives" scares me into thinking they might want a Chardonnay (in which case I'd go with the perfectly decent Fèvre Chablis), especially since Joe's is a Seafood and Steak house.

For the red, I'd get the Chinon (Cabernet Franc) or the Garnacha (Grenache) but again, these may be Cabernet Sauvignon people, not wanting the relative "greenness" of a Chinon, or the "cherry-redness" of a Garnacha.

So, one more level of detail about the party involved would be much appreciated.

Impressively expensive markups-four times wholesale? $75 for Mollydooker the Boxer? $20-26 in most stores. Silver Oak Alexander (which they probably sell a lot of on business) is breathtaking @$155 as is the Leonetti Merlot @$175.

The Montes Alpha Cab is what I would order if i was on business @58 or the Felsina Chianti @55. Both are about double retail list but they are very good wines for the price. Montes Alpha cab would be my first choice of all.

Don is asking the best questions. I am just making wild assumptions about "business executives" and know far less than I should about white.

I can't imagine how much a stone crab would sell for in Vegas or Chicago!

Thanks guys. I know the markups are outrageous. This is a rather last minute through together in a town not our own.

Don: I think a Chardonnay should be one of the choices since that is why the President of the non-profit drinks so thanks for that. The other guys are health care company vice presidents. All men who I generally don't know. It's me and all men. I don't mind. There will also be an Irishman there. He's my personal favorite.

Does that change your choices?

Thanks guys. I know the markups are outrageous. This is a rather last minute through together in a town not our own.

Don: I think a Chardonnay should be one of the choices since that is why the President of the non-profit drinks so thanks for that. The other guys are health care company vice presidents. All men who I generally don't know. It's me and all men. I don't mind. There will also be an Irishman there. He's my personal favorite.

Does that change your choices?

If it were me, I'd get the Chablis and the Rioja (the bottle price shouldn't be more than $40). A lot of times (I hate to say this) people like "names" that they recognize, and they'll recognize Chablis and Rioja. If they're cigar-chompers, you may want to go with a full-bore Cabernet Sauvignon, and Joe's Montes Alpha (Chilean) is as good a choice as any - the California Cabs are too expensive for my taste. I'd rather pay double retail for a pack of chewing gum than a jar of caviar, so I think you want to hover on the low end here.

I have to say I am somewhat disappointed not only with the pricing (but thats another mans' business so be it) but they incorrectly label the list. So for instance, The Belle Glos 'Meiomi' Pinot Noir is placed incorrectly, one would think if you look at other designations that Meiomi is a part of California, when in fact its not. Truth be told, its not a bad Pinot Noir (Pet project of Caymus). So, why does a place that obviously has someone sitting in an office somewhere most likely not on property just cherry picking wines at an enormous mark-up, and can't do a wine list correctly. Its embarassing to say the least.

Oh well, again another person's business.

Chablis, see about the Girardin bottle price for the Bourgogne Rouge as well.