I can't get the taste of two horribly cooked slices of really incredible bacon out of my mouth.

Cooking over fire is elemental.

Cooking over coils is unnatural.

Anyone else out there accustomed to a stove powered by electricity with how-to advice for someone who has spent most of her life turning knobs to left and right, controlling the heat under pots and pans with speed, ease and judgments based on visual experience?

I need to become okay with cooking on an electric stove.

Thanks.

I can't get the taste of two horribly cooked slices of really incredible bacon out of my mouth.

Cooking over fire is elemental.

Cooking over coils is unnatural.

Anyone else out there accustomed to a stove powered by electricity with how-to advice for someone who has spent most of her life turning knobs to left and right, controlling the heat under pots and pans with speed, ease and judgments based on visual experience?

I need to become okay with cooking on an electric stove.

Thanks.

Like anything else it takes time to get used to the equipment. Are you using coils or a smooth top?I have a smooth top radiant that I have no problems cooking on, granted I have been using it for quite a few years. The heat is not instant, but fairly quick and when its turned down goes out instantly, with residual heat on the glass. You will get used to what number, or position of the knob, means what amount of heat over time.

When cooking on my mother-in-law's glass-top electric, I learned that when I wanted to lower the heat level to avoid burning something, I needed to pull the pot or pan away from the coil while the heat level adjusted down. That said, I complained about the electric stove for three years after we moved here, until J. ran a gas line around the back of the house and got me a gas stovetop.

My parents had electric because they thought it was OK to live way outside of the small upstate NY town they moved to from Manhattan, consequently, no gas service ever, and no cable until I went off to college. My older sister would just turn the burners up to high for anything she cooked.

It was a revelation when I moved out and discovered the joys of gas. I like to sum it up thusly; when gas is off, it's off. When electric is off, it's still on.

Once you get to the point when you know when to pull it to a cold coil, it might be more bearable. Good luck.

My parents had electric because they thought it was OK to live way outside of the small upstate NY town they moved to from Manhattan, consequently, no gas service ever, and no cable until I went off to college. My older sister would just turn the burners up to high for anything she cooked.

It was a revelation when I moved out and discovered the joys of gas. I like to sum it up thusly; when gas is off, it's off. When electric is off, it's still on.

Once you get to the point when you know when to pull it to a cold coil, it might be more bearable. Good luck.

I grew up with electric too-coils no less. My mom was never a "gourmet" cook, but she never once burned anything and cooked with really crap pots and pans. I used to try to cook with her pans and would burn everything!

So, I think it's just something that you get better at with time.

I'll never forget the time I was watching cartoons in the afternoon, and suddenly became aware of bright lights and zapping electical sounds somewhere behind me. I turned to look, and the kitchen was filled with brilliant sparks going everywhere. One of the electric coils had worn through and resulted in the amazing light and sound show!