The Amazing Sambonn Lek

There has never been anything to draw me to visit the Hamilton until now - the city's best old-school bartender has a new home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/bartender-benefactor-finds-the-right-mix/2013/05/06/f1242d3c-b686-11e2-92f3-f291801936b8_story.html

That story is misleading - Sam is not at the Clyde's-owned Hamilton restaurant/concert venue at 14th & F, he's at 14K restaurant at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza hotel at 14th & K.

That story is misleading - Sam is not at the Clyde's-owned Hamilton restaurant/concert venue at 14th & F, he's at 14K restaurant at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza hotel at 14th & K.

Wow. I skimmed through that story, and had no idea (I wonder how many people are going to go to Clyde's Hamilton in search of Sam); it was a good and intriguing article otherwise - thanks Brian.

And what a great man this is - I thought I'd never see him again.

Very misleading. I have been a fan of Sam's for more years than I can count, thank you for clearing up where he is.

By the way, not only can he rock damn near any drink you can think of (I harken back to the Washington Post article about making a Jack Rose), but he makes the best Sidecar you will ever drink.

Very misleading. I have been a fan of Sam's for more years than I can count, thank you for clearing up where he is.

By the way, not only can he rock damn near any drink you can think of (I harken back to the Washington Post article about making a Jack Rose), but he makes the best Sidecar you will ever drink.

dr.com happy hour? Steve, I'm knighting you King of the Britons.

Indeed. I read that article when it first appeared and until perusing this topic, I thought he was at the Clyde's Hamilton. I feel like such an idiot. How could I have possibly misinterpreted these quotes?

But he missed Washington, and he missed bartending. He worked his first night at the Hamilton on Monday.

It was like a reunion at the Hamilton, lots of hugs and back-slapping.

Was the author of this story even there?

That is a great story about him. Sam, has been the well known, often cited, often mentioned bartender in DC. That goes back decades. Even as he has "created drinks" over the years, I don't think he ever fell into the description of craft bartender (at least as far as I know). For close to 15 years I worked near the Mayflower as a "suit" and would periodically have drinks at the Mayflower, often with clients, often at a cocktail table as opposed to the bar. Very formal place. Very old fashioned/heavily business type environment. I spoke with Sam a couple of times but was neither a regular nor a noted customer.

I had no idea he raised that money and delivered so much value to Cambodia. Really terrific story.

I did get the feel that he enjoyed, even loved what he was doing at the Mayflower. Welcome back Sam. I'm sure you'll attract a lot of fans to your new digs.

Was the author of this story even there?

FWIW, I can easily, easily envision someone not knowing there are two places with Hamilton in the name (especially in DC), and mixing them together mentally - it could have even been the editor not the author. I don't think it's improper to refer to the hotel as "the Hamilton." - it's just a mildly unfortunate ambiguity.

Plus, the author's last name is Dvorak, so on the off chance she's related to the composer, let's cut her a break. :) PS - my childhood piano teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher was Franz Liszt.

FWIW, I can easily, easily envision someone not knowing there are two places with Hamilton in the name (especially in DC), and mixing them together mentally - it could have even been the editor not the author. I don't think it's improper to refer to the hotel as "the Hamilton." - it's just a mildly unfortunate ambiguity.

Plus, the author's last name is Dvorak, so on the off chance she's related to the composer, let's cut her a break. :) PS - my childhood piano teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher was Franz Liszt.

I will concede that this was an inopportune comment written pre-dawn before the necessary benefits of coffee had been acquired. It is entirely posslble that the author was unaware of the possible confusion with the Clyde's establishment, much as I was heretofore unaware of the existence of the Hamilton Crowne Plaza.

dr.com happy hour? Steve, I'm knighting you King of the Britons.

I am sure that a happy hour would be fun for those that like that sort of thing, but for me the pleasure of having a drink made by Sam is to do so as a night cap,after a nice dinner with my wife or friends.