Streets of Washington Blog - The History of DC

Tweaked

If anyone is interested in the history of DC, the historic buildings, and other stories about our city they should check out this blog: Streets of Washington

John DeFerrari has a companion Facebook page called Historic Restaurants of DC and is the author of Lost Washington, DC

He has another book on the historic restaurants of DC coming out in September.

Prince of Petworth covers his article on Sholl's Cafeteria

Mr. DeFerrari also published a book last year called Lost Washington, and has another coming out in September called Historic Restaurants of Washington, D.C. You can order them from Amazon, and probably should.

I'm in touch with John - we're going to try and team up in some fashion.

Historic Restaurants of DC is out.  Very interested in reading this.

People also may enjoy AIA's Guide to the Architecture of Washington, DC. It's fun to walk around the city, book in hand. I've owned this book for probably 15 years, and this really makes me want to rekindle my self-guided walking tours. Something tells me The Hersch and brian both own this as well. :)

I'd be curious to know what AIA thinks of lifting height restrictions. In my dictatorial world, I would have a (progressive, not stodgy) Architectural and Arts Committee, and only those designs which received a thumbs up would be implemented - DC, even with lifted height restrictions, could become one of the world capitols of architecture. Of course, each member would have to take a monthly lie-detector test to avoid being bribed (not that I'm cynical or anything).

OK, for anybody interested in the development of restaurants in DC (wherein a menu was created that one could chose from--as opposed to eating whatever the kitchen had prepared at the time), this is a must read:

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Storm-August-Washington-Francis-Forgotten/dp/0385533373/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380069372&sr=1-1&keywords=snow+storm+in+august

People also may enjoy AIA's Guide to the Architecture of Washington, DC. It's fun to walk around the city, book in hand. I've owned this book for probably 15 years, and this really makes me want to rekindle my self-guided walking tours. Something tells me The Hersch and brian both own this as well. :)

I do indeed own  copy of the AIA guide to Washington. It might come as no great surprise that I have a quite long shelf of books about the history and architecture of Washington. It's not much of a guide for walking tours, since all the buildings it documents have been destroyed, but one of my very favorites, which I cannot recommend too highly, is James M. Goode's Capital Losses: A Cultural History of Washington's Destroyed Buildings, which manages to be at once a work of impressive scholarship and a beautiful coffee-table book. Goode's other books (on outdoor sculpture and grand apartment houses in Washington) are quite wonderful as well, and (I think) all the things in them still exist.

• Like 1