Reubens

By the way, for the truly nerdly among us, a scholarly investigation into the origin of the Reuben. Omaha. Who'd a thunk it?

I first read that disquisition about five years ago, and found it fascinating, and tantalizing in its inability to settle the question. Does the fact that I find it not remotely nerdy mean that I'm more of a nerd than I imagined?

I first read that disquisition about five years ago, and found it fascinating, and tantalizing in its inability to settle the question. Does the fact that I find it not remotely nerdy mean that I'm more of a nerd than I imagined?

Yes. But no more so than your average Washingtonian.

I saw a Cowboy Reuben ($9.50) on the menu at Cowboy Cafe last night that merits attention - it's made with housemade pastrami. I tried to order it, but they didn't have it (presumably because they were out of housemade pastrami).

Cheers,

Rocks

Did you ever get back to try it Don? I went two nights ago. That place has a lot of house made menu items but I've been looking for great Reubans around DC. I thought the Pastrami itself was pretty good, if a little under-salted. It was the first time I'd grabbed a salt shaker in a while. I also wish they had offered a little more meat with the sammy. Was curious if you'd given it a go, or what you thought of the other menu items like the "tater tots"