Reubens

The reuben is probably my favorite sandwich: corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut, and either Russian dressing or mustard (my variation) on crunchy grilled rye. Does any place in DC or the Maryland 'burbs do this sandwich well? I have suffered through innumerable crappy reubens with soggy bread, cold fillings, flavorless sauerkraut, etc., or reuben panini that get the whole concept wrong wrong wrong. Worse yet are the "turkey reubens" which should find another name for themselves as they are abominations.

The reuben is probably my favorite sandwich: corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut, and either Russian dressing or mustard (my variation) on crunchy grilled rye.  Does any place in DC or the Maryland 'burbs do this sandwich well?  I have suffered through innumerable crappy reubens with soggy bread, cold fillings, flavorless sauerkraut, etc., or reuben panini that get the whole concept wrong wrong wrong.  Worse yet are the "turkey reubens" which should find another name for themselves as they are abominations.

Parkway Deli, Grubb Rd(i think), Silver Spring

Mrs. B makes an inspired version, on occasion.  More important, though, don't you mean pumpernickle and not rye?

Pumpernickle is ok, but usually too sweet for me. And don't get me started on the paucity of good pumpernickle around here. I prefer a faintly sour seeded rye.

Mrs. B makes an inspired version, on occasion.  More important, though, don't you mean pumpernickle and not rye?

There appears to be no definitive original version of the sandwich. Among the contenders, black russian style rye, pumpernickle, and lighter seeded rye all are mentioned. This is not the only lack of agreement; apparently the original sandwich may even have been made with ham not corned beef ?????. Most claims at least agree it should be russian, not 1000-island, dressing.

The reuben is probably my favorite sandwich: corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut, and either Russian dressing or mustard (my variation) on crunchy grilled rye.  Does any place in DC or the Maryland 'burbs do this sandwich well?  I have suffered through innumerable crappy reubens with soggy bread, cold fillings, flavorless sauerkraut, etc., or reuben panini that get the whole concept wrong wrong wrong.  Worse yet are the "turkey reubens" which should find another name for themselves as they are abominations.

For the best Rueben in DC go to Union Station, hop on board the Amtrak and go to NYC. Then subway down to Katz's. After Katz's, walk down to Orchard and Rvington to wash it down with a glass of Paolo Bea Santa Chiara at 'inoteca.

Sorry but Parkway is about as goyishe as a Rueben in Indiana!

Mark, I'll give your recommendation a try and if its as good as a NYC Rueben I'll buy you one!

Edited by deangold

I've always enjoyed the reuben at Childe Harold (downstairs) -for a belly full of grilled gooey greasy goodness.

I've always enjoyed the reuben at Childe Harold (downstairs) -for a belly full of grilled gooey greasy goodness.

Just found this thread. The reuben is one of my go-to order things when I'm looking for lunch joints. The Luna Grill version is currently one of my faves, but for takeout, there are several that are accetable: Best Sandwich Place, Capital Grounds, and Sunrise Cafe are all pretty good. More details at the site in my sig (just do a search on "reuben") </plug>

Mrs. B makes an inspired version, on occasion. More important, though, don't you mean pumpernickle and not rye?
What are you talking about? I almost always do seeded rye, occasionally swirl but rarely pump. There another Mrs. B out there Waitman?

The key to a good reuben in my book is patience the chesse must be gooey and it's even better if a little escapes and cooks up crispy on the bread.

I can't say I was impressed with my last Reuban at Clyde's (Chinatown). Don't even get me started on the one from Tonic last week. I guess something you just have to do yourself.

(Mrs. B @ Aug 28 2006, 10:32 AM)]What are you talking about? I almost always do seeded rye, occasionally swirl but rarely pump. There another Mrs. B out there Waitman?
:) Seeded rye. No substitutes.
The key to a good reuben in my book is patience the cheese must be gooey and it's even better if a little escapes and cooks up crispy on the bread.

I can't say I was impressed with my last Reuban at Clyde's (Chinatown). Don't even get me started on the one from Tonic last week. I guess something you just have to do yourself.

Might be reubens for dinner tonight, now that my pots and pans are unpacked.

From my recollection, the food is not the reason one goes to Tonic. Although my memory is probably a little impaired.

I sure like the Reuben at So's Your Mom, in Adams Morgan. It's not on the menu but they're happy to throw one together. Post Pub and Luna Grill both have decent versions as well.

Yea, I second the So's Your Mom thumbs up. My only gripe with them is that they close at 3pm on Sundays, so when heading up to Bedrock for some Sunday afternoon pool, they're usually closed. And I suppose that's why the peruvian chicken place across the street (Granja de Oro) is my go-to on those days. mmm, fried yucca.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a just OK reuben at the Parkway but that was a few years ago so maybe it's time for another visit.

The parkway is properly crunchy and greasy but the pastrami is pretty lean and dry and not enough of it. Still is is worlds better than the Woodside. I had a reuben today that was incredibly bad. Tasted like shingle pack swiss and the dressing was blah. Bit worse was the layers and layers of filth on the walls and the layer of grease on the vinegar bottle. I ordered a salad and the bottle positively stuck to my hand. Never again! Why is it that in a town with a educated, wealthy Jewish population all we have is goyishe deli food? You know what they say.... even a goy in New York is Jewish and a Jew in Muncie Indiana is Goyishe. So too, at lease as far as deli food is concerned, are we DCites.

The parkway is properly crunchy and greasy but the pastrami is pretty lean and dry and not enough of it. Still is is worlds better than the Woodside. I had a reuben today that was incredibly bad. Tasted like shingle pack swiss and the dressing was blah. Bit worse was the layers and layers of filth on the walls and the layer of grease on the vinegar bottle. I ordered a salad and the bottle positively stuck to my hand. Never again! Why is it that in a town with a educated, wealthy Jewish population all we have is goyishe deli food? You know what they say.... even a goy in New York is Jewish and a Jew in Muncie Indiana is Goyishe. So too, at lease as far as deli food is concerned, are we DCites.

So Dean, what is a good Jewish boy doing messing around with this Italian stuff. Why not stop that Goyishe foolishness and give DC a good deli already!

In the previous incarnation of this thread Deli City came up, and got split off into a separate thread. It bears mentioning again tho---their reuben is excellent.

As a side note, I'm not clear just how "Jewish" a reuben is in the first place--corned beef and cheese??

Back in college, this guy down the hall was planning on becoming a rabbi. As he cooked his cheesesteak one day, he explained that in his interpretation of "cooking a kid in it's mother's milk", there was no way that his steak was from the same mother that made the cheese...

Is there a good place for a hot corned beef on rye in the Reston area? Hubby got one from Pizzarama and said it was pretty good but needed more dressing. Any "hits" that you can suggest for that, kugel etc... (besides whole foods?) Thanks!

Chutzpah, which has been in Fairfax for probably ten years or so, has opened a branch at Tysons Corner, not too far from Reston. Actually, the original location at Fairfax Towne Center (West Ox Rd at Route 50) might be a little closer.

I hear they serve one at Kinkead's that's made from Partridge.
I think I love you!

(I am embarrassed I got that.)

Balducci's had Hebrew National corned beef. Eh. I'll be hitting the Parkway deli tomorrow on my way home from Bethesda and will report back. One problem with ordering a reuben in a deli (instead of a restaurant) is that it's so hard to resist getting a hot pastrami. Maybe I will sample both and get my husband to finish them.

Well call me crazy but if several of us want to make a break for NJ I know 2 places (same name!) Harold's one is in Edison NJ and the other in Parsippany NJ, Edison is about 3 to 4 hours from here and if you REALLY want a great corned beef sandwich the "wagon train" can roll - OY VEY!

Anyhow back on topic, is there any GOOD/Great Corned Beef sandwich places near or in Reston (begging?!) or better yet a "jewish" middle eastern place w/falafel, hummus, t'china, babaganoush etc... I found 2 places that are close in style and quite good but I am craving good falafel too!

:) -->

QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Aug 28 2006, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about? I almost always do seeded rye, occasionally swirl but rarely pump. There another Mrs. B out there Waitman?

The key to a good reuben in my book is patience the chesse must be gooey and it's even better if a little escapes and cooks up crispy on the bread.

I'm guessing you have a stoneware container of sauerkraut fermenting in the basement?

Or is it under the bed?

I made the mistake today of ordering a reuben at Marty's, formerly Krupin's Deli. Actually, the biggest mistake was going there in the first place, but it was noon and we had dropped off a bike for repair at Hudson Trail Outfitter and were waiting for Veggie-teen's guitar to be restrung at Middle C Music.

Where to begin? The corned beef had not been cooked enough to completely relax the connective tissue, and it would have worked better as an elastic waistband for a pair of stretch pants. I might have forgiven the texture if it had been flavorful. The plate must have still been wet from the dishwasher, because by the time it was delivered to the table, the bottom bread was soggy. Jonathan had pastrami, and his rye bread hadn't been griddled like mine, but it clearly was not fresh and no attempt had been made to warm it. Blech! Feh! Never again, no matter how convenient and how intense j's pastrami craving may be.

You're right. It's a corned beef sandwich. I have such a hard time finding reubens I like, I just conflated the two in my mind. I really have to get to Deli City to try theirs.

The Reuben served at Whitlow's on Wilson is not bad at all.

Though I've not exhausted the options, I'm a sucker for Parkway Deli's reubens...particularly when I've got enough time to sit & enjoy the pickle bar. Sorry if I've been there before you and you also enjoy pickled beets.

But for straight-up corned beef on rye with some spicy mustard, Deli City is mecca.

Cheers,

Scott

Not being a fan of corned beef I prefer a Rachel (substitute pastrami) instead. You can get a pretty decent Ruben (or Rachel) at Pumpernickel's in Olney, but it is not what I'd call a NY sandwich like you get at Katz's or even the Stage Deli.
Ditto. Though I usually like the Rachael with coleslaw and turkey. To me it's more like a springtime version...

The Celebrity Delly - Loehmanns Plaza off Route 50 in Falls Church! Fantastic Reubens (and Pastrami) and they don't skimp on the meat! :D) (I think I recall seeing something posted in the restaurant that they prepare the Corned Beef and Pastrami in house...) Not a glamorous joint, but great sandwiches! :blink:

The Celebrity Delly

The reuben is probably my favorite sandwich: corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut, and either Russian dressing or mustard (my variation) on crunchy grilled rye. Does any place in DC or the Maryland 'burbs do this sandwich well? I have suffered through innumerable crappy reubens with soggy bread, cold fillings, flavorless sauerkraut, etc., or reuben panini that get the whole concept wrong wrong wrong. Worse yet are the "turkey reubens" which should find another name for themselves as they are abominations.

EatBar in clarendon does a pretty good pastrami on housemade rye, and housemade pastrami with eatbar island dressing which is delicious. its not a reuben but worth the try if your ever in the area.

The Celebrity Delly - Loehmanns Plaza off Route 50 in Falls Church! Fantastic Reubens (and Pastrami) and they don't skimp on the meat! :D) (I think I recall seeing something posted in the restaurant that they prepare the Corned Beef and Pastrami in house...) Not a glamorous joint, but great sandwiches! :blink:

The Celebrity Delly

Man, if this place makes their own CB and Pastrami in house, the chef needs lessons. Not Good. Less than five minutes from my office, and I'd probably return to Quiznos first. Rye from a bag, and I swear the meats are all Boars Head.

Are we allowed to talk about turkey reubens here? If so, I must say that Cafe Deluxe makes a great one. The rye is grilled until it is crunchy. Just right proportion of russian dressing, kraut, turkey and cheese. I think they griddle the turkey which gives it even more flavor. I had one for dinner the other night (you can always order off the lunch menu) and it hit the spot.

Argh, I wish I had remembered this thread about 30 days ago.

The Pork Reuben at Food Matters on the November menu was catastrophically delicious.

I made my pitch to Chef Tom to continue including it on the December menu, but since it was also on the October edition, it's probably now available via memory only.

Argh, I wish I had remembered this thread about 30 days ago.

The Pork Reuben at Food Matters on the November menu was catastrophically delicious.

I made my pitch to Chef Tom to continue including it on the December menu, but since it was also on the October edition, it's probably now available via memory only.

KMango, one more month for the Pork Reuben!