But if there's a better version of Peking Duck readily available in town, then please share the secret and spare the rest of us from ever having to go back here again.

Like schulju, I would like a good Peking Duck restaurant identified in time for my next birthday meal (in January).

I'd like to know of a good source for Peking Duck, too. Every once in awhile, I hear "Duck Chang's in Annandale," (which is owned by Peter Chang (no, not *that* Peter Chang), who also owns "Peking Duck" linked to by Bart below in this post) but the last time I went to Duck Chang's (years ago), I don't remember being that impressed, as it was somewhat dingy and decrepit (which is perfectly fine if the duck is in order) - I do not know of a single great Peking Duck in the DC area right now, and in fact, if forced, I would head back to Peking Gourmet Inn, based on my current knowledge.

Yanyu, in the old Dino space, used to have good Peking Duck, but it was very expensive, you didn't get an entire duck (or even half of one), and it was pre-prepared if I recall. Called "Big Duck" on the menu - with prices for half-orders and full-orders (which I always hoped were half-ducks and full-ducks), it was tasty, but (and this is the first time, and hopefully the last time, I will ever use this term in my life) in the words of another restaurant writer, it was also a bit "twee."

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm asking for help. :)

---

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Duck Chang's (Chris Cunningham)

Peking Gourmet Inn (hopsing)

Peking Duck (Bart)

Spices (Jimmy Chandler)]

I've always been quite pleased with Marks Duck House, personally, but I gotta admit I've rarely ventured to any other joints that specialize or even offer the dish (i.e. I don't eat a lot of Chinese).

I did make the rather unfortunate decision years ago to order the "Peking Duck" from Great Wall Szuhuan House and suppose I fully deserved the atrociousness of the dish, as they are a Szuhuan restaurant; still, it could have been good and since its around the corner from the house, I couldn't continue to live in such close proximity to Peking duck and not know whether or not it was good, nay, edible.

It was neither, friends.

I was in NYC Chinatown yesterday and bought a whole Peking Duck (sans accoutrements) from one of approximately seven million places in a ten-block radius for $12.50, chopped to order.  I look forward to enjoying it tonight at home.

I suspect that's not really the thrust of this thread, though.  :)

I was in NYC Chinatown yesterday and bought a whole Peking Duck (sans accoutrements) from one of approximately seven million places in a ten-block radius for $12.50, chopped to order.  I look forward to enjoying it tonight at home.

I suspect that's not really the thrust of this thread, though.   :)

Sure it is - it gives a good baseline for what it *could* cost.

Sure it is - it gives a good baseline for what it *could* cost.

Well, but that's from a hole-in-the-wall carry-out place that probably does almost entirely wholesale business (when my girlfriend asked for a regular roast duck rather than the Peking, the woman told her that the Peking was meatier and "all the restaurants buy this one") in a neighborhood whose food economics and density of Chinese population couldn't be more different from the D.C. area.  I wouldn't hold any restaurant around here to that kind of standard in terms of the intersection of affordability and deliciousness.

Well, but that's from a hole-in-the-wall carry-out place that probably does almost entirely wholesale business (when my girlfriend asked for a regular roast duck rather than the Peking, the woman told her that the Peking was meatier and "all the restaurants buy this one") in a neighborhood whose food economics and density of Chinese population couldn't be more different from the D.C. area.  I wouldn't hold any restaurant around here to that kind of standard in terms of the intersection of affordability and deliciousness.

I think we all understand this (but it's still useful!) :)