Citadelle Gin, an 88-Proof London Gin Produced at Pierre Ferrand, Cognac, France

Obviously, I'm not an American Gin Maggot.  :lol: Count me in the 80 Proof, light-botanical camp.  :)

I haven't been much into gin lately, but the good people at PX turned me onto Citadelle Gin out of France a few years ago. It is priced at about $20, and gets the job done. I'd call it a pretty mild tasting gin. I think it is closer to 90 than 80 proof, but not overpowering in cocktails.

I haven't been much into gin lately, but the good people at PX turned me onto Citadelle Gin out of France a few years ago. It is priced at about $20, and gets the job done. I'd call it a pretty mild tasting gin. I think it is closer to 90 than 80 proof, but not overpowering in cocktails.

I'm a Citadelle fan. They also have a good, descriptive Gin-term page on their website. If it's not yet clear, my personal palate (which is obviously not some sort of paradigm) favors London Gins rather than what Citadelle terms "New Western Gins" which I suspect Greenhook and Death's Door are.

How can "˜Merika's "bigger is better, more is better" attitude about so many things (McMansions, 200% New Oak Wines, Lincoln Navigator) have spilt over into the little world of gin?

I really like CItadelle because I like a *lot* of botanicals, which this one has in spades.  The Citadelle Reserve (barrel-aged) is also remarkably good. (88-pf)

Yes, the "new-western-style" of gin tends to play down juniper and they don't usually have a large slew of botanicals to them.  More's the pity.

One of my favorites in that category is the Voyager, from Washington State.  10 botanicals, and 84-pf.  Don, you might really appreciate that one.

I really like CItadelle because I like a *lot* of botanicals, which this one has in spades.  The Citadelle Reserve (barrel-aged) is also remarkably good. (88-pf)

Yes, the "new-western-style" of gin tends to play down juniper and they don't usually have a large slew of botanicals to them.  More's the pity.

One of my favorites in that category is the Voyager, from Washington State.  10 botanicals, and 84-pf.  Don, you might really appreciate that one.

Joe, if they don't have large amounts of botanicals, what makes them smell so ... potent?