A Public Tasting of 5 Million Scoville Unit "Meet Your Maker" Hot Pepper Sauce

Joe H

On another thread I found a video of a group of Brits who are members of a "chili pepper" club in the UK tasting a Calabrian hot pepper relish on a train.  Intrigued I googled and found that they actually videotaped themselves tasting quite a number of hot peppers, sauces and relishes. Note that in the linked video one has a hat labelled "chili addict" and another is wearing a knit shirt with the inscription, "Clifton Chili Club.  In the video three men tasted a hot pepper sauce which one brought back from the United States, "Meet Your Maker Retribution" hot sauce.  This is advertised as five million Scoville units and the "world's hottest hot sauce."

It is two ounces, $49.95 and comes in a "wooden coffin." 

I thought about posting this in the same thread but the video is incredible.  Honestly, it is the single funniest video I have ever seen my life....and I am old.

I've just never seen anything like it.  It's also long.  And worth savoring every second!  You will be at the table with them.  I suppose that I must be something of a sadist for enjoying it so much but suffice it to say that three very masculine members of a hot pepper club did not know what they were getting into.

"I can't put my teeth back in because they are covered in it."

• Like 1

When K was in elementary school, the kids--mostly the boys, as I recall--loved to compete publicly to see who could spend the longest time sucking on one of the super sour candies that were all the rage then. My guess is that these hot sauce competitions are just hairier versions of those boychismo activities.

I sincerely want to call attention to the video I linked above.  I really do think it is the single funniest video I have ever seen in my life-it is a tale of male pride and excess.  It is necessarily long and I am guessing that most have not taken the time to watch more than a minute or two.   But it is a classic, worthy of Marcello Mastroianni's Le Grande Bouffe where three nihilistic bon vivants decided life was no longer worth living and committed to going out in style, i.e. eating and screwing  them selves quite literally to death.  Over two hours they did it.  Catherine Denueve divorced mastroianni because of it and Paris, in the early '70's when it came out, rewarded it as the highest grossest film in the suburban area for more than a month.

The video I linked is in the same absurdist extreme style and, I think, even funnier.  Please take a look.  It is priceless.

Joe

• Like 1

The video I linked is in the same absurdist extreme style and, I think, even funnier.  Please take a look.  It is priceless.

I watched it at length the first time, and while I thought it was very funny; I don't think it's *as* funny as you do. I'm not sure why it strikes such a nerve with you.

And I *love* slapstick humor which this is, but I also don't like seeing people actually getting hurt, and I think I saw that in this video. Anybody can swallow baking soda and vomit and produce a primal laugh, or fall while slipping on ice and induce a chuckle, but when pain or injury is involved, I don't like it - these guys were miserable.

What will they feel like the next day? Just horrible, I would think.

On the other hand, it was self-inflicted ...

• Like 1

They have a great many videos that they have produced of eating hot sauces and peppers.  Regardless of how bad they hurt themselves they continue to come back and produce more, all the while wearing various chili paraphelia.  Really seems like a macho thing to "take" the hot pepper.  Because they do this over and over I allow myself to laugh rather than react with horror.  At some level I think they enjoy this masochistic endeaver.

They have a great many videos that they have produced of eating hot sauces and peppers.  Regardless of how bad they hurt themselves they continue to come back and produce more, all the while wearing various chili paraphelia.  Really seems like a macho thing to "take" the hot pepper.  Because they do this over and over I allow myself to laugh rather than react with horror.  At some level I think they enjoy this masochistic endeaver.

Oh, well, if *that's* the case, then laugh as much as you'd like!