Help, Advice Getting Into The Dupont Circle Market

Hello,

I'm new to the DC Metro area food scene...well, who am I kidding I'm just new to the food scene and I need some advice. I've been trying to get into the Dupont Circle Sunday farmers market. At my first attempt, when FreshFarm was accepting applications, I was told that the market had enough bakers and were not accepting any new applicants. Some of you may know ShoeBox Oven is not the typical bakery, as we offer a very different fare of pastries. Lately an increasing number of people are asking me why I am not at the Dupont market. I'd like to try to get into the market again, hopefully with better success. If anyone has any ideas, any leads, any contacts that can help ShoeBox Oven with this effort, please let me know.

Another idea would be to setup a stand at the Penn Quarter Farmer's Market on Thursday afternoon/evening. There are approximately twelve to fourteen vendors, and only one selling breads, pastries, etc...

I know that your product is far superior, and would be a very welcome addition. It is also organized by the same folks that do the DuPont Farmer's Market.

Hello,

I'm new to the DC Metro area food scene...well, who am I kidding I'm just new to the food scene and I need some advice. I've been trying to get into the Dupont Circle Sunday farmers market. At my first attempt, when FreshFarm was accepting applications, I was told that the market had enough bakers and were not accepting any new applicants. Some of you may know ShoeBox Oven is not the typical bakery, as we offer a very different fare of pastries. Lately an increasing number of people are asking me why I am not at the Dupont market. I'd like to try to get into the market again, hopefully with better success. If anyone has any ideas, any leads, any contacts that can help ShoeBox Oven with this effort, please let me know.

FreshFarm runs a market on Wednesdays in Foggy Bottom and Arlington and Alexandria have Saturday Markets, perhaps building the business at these alternatives would be better.

FreshFarm runs a market on Wednesdays in Foggy Bottom and Arlington and Alexandria have Saturday Markets, perhaps building the business at these alternatives would be better.

I should have stated:

I am currently at the Clarendon market on Wednesdays and the Arlington Courthouse market on Saturdays. For strategic/production reasons, I'm looking for a Sunday market.

Does anyone visit or know about the farmers market on Columbia Pike?

Click on FRESHFARM Markets for contact information. Here's the link.

I imagine you've seen the Farmers Market thread with the Post's listings of area markets, though someone noticed it was not complete.

I also wonder about the quality of baked goods at Eastern Market where there is a lot of traffic on the weekends, especially during the height of tourist season. Murky Coffee, just down the street from it, has a WOEFULLY limited supply of things to eat, so you might talk to those guys. I was down there fairly recently and spoke to a farmer from MD who had just started going there.

Re FFM, your best bet would be to talk face to face to either Ann Yonkers or Bernie Prince, the co-founders. One is always at Dupont on Sundays, if not both; the big event this week would not be the best time since they will be swamped. Who knows how another B-day cake might go over, though?

If you spoke personally to them, and they said no, then I don't think there's anything more you can do about that location for now. Other than familarizing them with your distinctive pastries, the only other thing I might suggest is mentioning what you've told us here: you do have fans and some have asked why you're not a participant.

Since Atwater was kind of going solo (? I think. I only starting volunteering a year ago) until Bonaparte starting to participate, part of the reluctance regarding Dupont might be due to the relationships established there; B also joins in at the FFM at St. Michaels and it is a big operation. There is the Thursday market, too, as mentioned.

Do you have a web site, BTW? Have you ever met Mr. Cake Love or others who have developed businesses similar to your own?

How bout coming over to Eastern Market on weekends. We could use some good baked goods in the hood.
I agree. I think the Eastern Market on Sundays would be an amazing spot. Does anyone know if the woman who sells bread in front of Tortilla Cafe is "official" ? Also, my understanding with the Sunday Flea Market is that it is first come first serve on the space front. Does anyone know if I am right?

I tried earlier this year to get into the Eastern Market. I was told they were not accepting anymore vendors this year. Perhaps I spoke to the wrong person? If anyone has a contact I could pitch to please let me know. ShoeBox would love to be at the Eastern Market.