Stephen Banker's Seafood Orgy

StephenB

On Tuesday, September 19, I went to Oceanaire with some rockwellians and two of us (escoffier and I) shared the so-called "Grand Shellfish Platter." It was OK, but I felt it lacked variety, as there were only 3 or 4 ingredients to it. It's simply not as complex as those I've had at Balthazar in New York or La Coupole in Paris or Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal. I brooded about this for a few days and the following week I decided to manufacture my own variety. Thus:

On Monday 25 Sept, I went to Tower Oaks Lodge (Clyde's) and had their lobster special, preceded by a half dozen little necks. The lobsters were fair sized (about 1 lb.), though not huge, and I took one of them home.

Tuesday, lobster for breakfast. These beasts are sweet and flavorful and Tower Oaks expertly cracks them so the meat is accessible. I am an avid and industrious lobster eater and I think I got everything.

Tuesday night, salmon croquettes and spicy hard shelled crabs at a friend's house, accompanied by corn on the cob and then ice cream-topped brownies.

Wednesday, crab meat and rice, Thai style (spicy), for lunch at Jasmine Garden. (This place has gone downhill recently.) Dinner at home was clam chowder and a thick sandwich of smoked salmon, cream cheese, onion, capers and lemon juice on hefty slices of corn rye boule. Then a small slice of apple pie.

Thursday, a dozen large, juicy, briny top neck clams at Sea Catch along with cod soup — does anybody else in town offer top necks? Baxter's luxo fish chowder and tuna fish salad with minced onion, mayo and olives for dinner, followed by blueberry pie with blueberry ice cream.

Friday, a couple of hard-boiled eggs (huh?) for breakfast. I fasted the rest of the day to gird myself for the week's coda at the Mayflower Seafood Buffet. There, escoffier, grover, cucas87, scottjohnston and I helped ourselves to shrimp, oysters, smoked salmon, smoked trout, paella, gnocchi, asparagus, crab cakes, sea bass, seared tuna, anchovies, salsa, seaweed salad, clam chowder, and (!?) roast beef. For dessert, there were éclairs, napoleons, crème brulée, bread pudding, strawberries doused in chocolate, chocolate truffles, cream puffs and assorted fruits. The others at my table had mixed drinks. I had the $12 bottomless bottle of Mumms, though in the end I think I had only 3 or 4 glasses.

On the sixth day, I rested.

I am a walking plateau de fruits de mer. Glub. Glub.

This was in the Restaurants and Dining forum under "Seafood," but when I opened the thread to read it just now, I stopped in my tracks.

I retitled the thread "Stephen Banker's Seafood Orgy," and moved the topic to Events and Gatherings.

Also, I clicked on the website in Stephen's profile and got a broken link (it was a link to one of Marty Moleski's pages which no longer exists), so I changed it to one I think is appropriate.

This was in the Restaurants and Dining forum under "Seafood," but when I opened the thread to read it just now, I stopped in my tracks.

I retitled the thread "Stephen Banker's Seafood Orgy," and moved the topic to Events and Gatherings.

Also, I clicked on the website in Stephen's profile and got a broken link (it was a link to one of Marty Moleski's pages which no longer exists), so I changed it to one I think is appropriate.

Thank you, Don for keeping Stephen alive in the memories of we who knew him (and were influenced, browbeaten, talked at and to, and in general basked in the pleasure of a great mind who also happened to be a seriously great person).