Saint Michel Bakery's final day was on November 8th, as Pátissier Bertrand Houlier is moving back to France.

If its any consolation (and it shouldn't be much because this place was good), I had a really good cannelé today at BreadFurst. As great as this pastry is when it's done properly, we have room for two, three, ten, fifty bakeries which sell it.

Saint Michel closing is a palpable loss.

Fresh Baguette in Bethesda [name corrected] also has a decent cannale; probably not quite BF level.  (It's smaller.)  I thought St. Michel's was the tops, though -- and best bargain, too.

Do you mean Fresh Baguette on Bethesda Ave?

Slipstream on 14th St has decent canelés.  BreadFurst's are spectacular.  I know I've seen them in other places but can't recall where.

Ha, I was just about to post about the canele I had at Bread Furst last weekend. Textbook perfect. Great crunch on the outside and really nicely caramelized (but not too thick). The interior was super moist and creamy with a great flavor of vanilla and rum. So f*cking good.

People really need to buy more of my expensive chocolates so I can buy more of those expensive caneles. :)

The baguette from BF was also superb.

Great place.

• Like 1