Addis Ethiopian Restaurant, 7th and H Street NE - Open Seven Days 11AM-11PM

Has anyone else ventured to the newish Ethiopian joint on H St.?

I stopped in for a late lunch last week around 2, and (unsurprisingly) had the place to myself.  Decor-wise, it's much more casual than Ethiopic, with a couple televisions strangely located around the dining room.  The lone waitress was very nice, and eager to please.

I had a vegetable sambusa and the smaller of the 2 vegetarian samplers.  The sambusa was delicious, with a nicely-spiced lentil filling.  The ones I've had elsewhere have tended toward blandness.  The sampler was underwhelming.  The spicy lentils had a strange sweetness to them that I haven't had before, and the kik alicha were really, really bland.  The potatoes in the "dinich karot" were terribly dry and basically inedible.

It would be great to have a lower-priced Ethiopian option on H St...I'll still give them another try, and look forward to other reports.

• Like 1

I was craving kitfo and didn't feel like schlepping over to Zenebech, my usual go to for take away Ethiopian, so I gave Adis a try. It was a good decision. The kitfo is buttery, unctuous deliciousness. I got the Addis kitfo, which comes with ibe (Ethiopian cottage cheese) and some chopped greens that do not resemble gomen.

My meal was fantastic and I am now eager to try the rest of the menu. H street needed a legit Ethiopian alternative to Ethiopic, which to me is yuppified American Ethiopian. Adis appears to be the real deal.

• Like 2

I was craving kitfo and didn't feel like schlepping over to Zenebech, my usual go to for take away Ethiopian, so I gave Adis a try. It was a good decision. The kitfo is buttery, unctuous deliciousness. I got the Addis kitfo, which comes with ibe (Ethiopian cottage cheese) and some chopped greens that do not resemble gomen.

My meal was fantastic and I am now eager to try the rest of the menu. H street needed a legit Ethiopian alternative to Ethiopic, which to me is yuppified American Ethiopian. Adis appears to be the real deal.

Looking at their menu, I see photos of a few platters with cottage cheese.  This gives me hope that it might be possible to get some of the cottage cheese with a collard gomen dish, the thing I miss so much from Red Sea.  Fingers crossed.