The Undertipping Thread - Calling Out Cheap Customers

DaRiv18

But frankly, I can't see any reason why they would do this as a matter of course.  My understanding is that other places do it for large parties because such parties on average leave very small percentage tips.  But Sally's does it no matter what the size of the party.  To what end?  To save everyone the trouble of calculating a tip?  Makes no sense to me, and I can't believe most customers will be happy with it.  

I intend to start a thread elsewhere, journaling my observations as I sit at bars and diners around DC, where I witness diners either undertip or just flat out stiff the service.  I would think this wouldn't be necessary but I guess many on this board think we live in a post-stiffing era.

I intend to start a thread elsewhere, journaling my observations as I sit at bars and diners around DC, where I witness diners either undertip or just flat out stiff the service.  I would think this wouldn't be necessary but I guess many on this board think we live in a post-stiffing era.

You're welcome to do that here, and if you want to name the individuals, that's fine. I've also seen bartenders pocketing cash while ringing up a zero sale.

I don't understand why I would name individuals, is this a credibility issue?  Yes, I've seen bartenders pocket cash, and I've seen signs at franchise fast food stores saying free meals for those who say they aren't getting a receipt.  So there are many people in the general public who steal or don't leave a decent tip.  I'm saying, my thread of stiffers would have much more entries than your bartender/front-of-the-house cash handler thread.

If this is a problem generally -- not only w/r/t "large" parties -- then the establishment ought to simply include what it considers to be the minimum acceptable tip (presumably lower than 18%) *in the listed cost of the dish,* explain to patrons that the listed price already includes X% as a service charge, and let customers add to that as they see fit for better-than-minimum-level service.  In other words, the European model, more or less.

• Like 2