Gazebo Cafe - Tiny, Morning-and-Afternoon Cafe and Coffeehouse Featuring Dry Cleaning - Kentlands

I have been meaning to try Gazebo Cafe in Kentlands for a while because it has pretty good local press. They don't have a website, but they have some sort of Facebook Page [unofficial].. 

Located a short walk from my house in the Kentlands, this is a little space with a bar and a few tables inside and outside (probably can't seat much more than 15 people, if that).  

Whenever we have tried to go, we couldn't get a table because it is so popular.  Today we tried and hit it at the right time and nabbed a table. Gazebo is pretty much a coffee car with a breakfast/lunch/brunch menu.  It is Korean owned and as a result they have a Korean menu also.

All dishes looked very fresh and like they were prepared with care and love. Today I opted for the 2 eggs, with Korean beef with scallions and waffle brunch item with organic ginger/honey tea.  I ordered the eggs over medium.  They were served on a plate with the beef.  I broke the yoke and mixed everything together.  The flavors were very good.  The waffle was also good, from a Belgian press.

The tea came with a bunch of fresh ginger in the bottom.  The tea was perfect for me as I have a cold, and the honey coated the throat.  My wife and daughter each got half a waffle with ice cream (which holds a spot in my wife's heart from her days dining in Long Island diners).  My 5 year old daughter had no idea what she was in for and sat wide eyed in disbelief at what she had ordered.  Needless to say she finished every bit on her plate and asked for a spoon to try and get what remained of her cookies and cream ice cream.  The waffle had a generous scoop of ice cream, with whipped cream, some drizzled chocolate syrup and couple of sliced strawberries.  My wife was equally pleased.

The service was very warm, kind of like you were dining at someone's home.  We will definitely be back.  Oh yes, it wasn't a typo, but they do also have dry cleaning, although I am pretty sure it isn't done on-site.  I need to go back and have a pure Korean dish.  I am sure it will be good.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the owner's have sold and this will be shutting down soon and re-opening as "Book Cafe" with a bookstore in the basement.  After talking to the owners, the space was just too small to really make it work for them.  They are trying to find another location in the Kentlands and they would focus on authentic Korean food.  Hopefully they will find something.  What was truly great about Gazebo is that the owners cared.  The wife was the consummate hostess.  She knew her customers, made sure they were happy and had what they wanted and was always willing to give a suggestion.  She wasn't pushy, but she really knew how to make Gazebo special and make sure everyone had a great meal.