Della J's Delectables -- Southern Fare in Central Springfield in the Former Marino's Pizza

A worthy addition to the Springfield dining scene is Della J's Delectables on that fork of Backlick Road that splits off for a few blocks and has Five Guys, JW's, Moe's Peyton Place, and Rivera's. 

Della J's is a southern restaurant that opened in August of 2017 in the old Marino's Pizza location, so as a one-to-one swap, it automatically increased the quality of Springfield restaurants. The waitress I spoke with said they've been in soft-opening mode since last August, but are now moving forward with post-Valentines Day wind in their sails.

It's a very nicely appointed restaurant with wooden floors and muted colors, a full bar, and 3 flat screens for the bar area. Someone's antique Larkin desk is the centerpiece of the wait stand. It almost looks out of place with the mostly modern decor.

Southern home cooking is the menu's theme, although other than chicken biscuit on the sandwich side of the menu, and chicken and waffles on the entree side, the southern dishes are few and far between. This is otherwise a standard American diner menu.

I had the chicken biscuit for lunch yesterday, and it was good. The chicken was offered deep-fried, pan-fried, or grilled, and I chose the pan-fried. The biscuit was very good, and the drizzle of honey gave the sandwich a pleasant sweetness. The accompanying fries were fresh out of the fryer with skins still on, but were a notch below the fries at Five Guys across the street.

Della J's is still getting its footing, but is off to a promising start. I look forward to more meals there in the future.

• Like 1

Went to Della J's for lunch today with a companion. It's been open about a year and a half and this was my second visit.

First observation is that the food is good by Springfield standards. The pulled pork sandwich today was pleasant and worth ordering again. The accompanying fries were flaccid and not worth ordering again, and the side of slaw came in a thimble-sized cup, as if it was an optional topping for the pulled pork sandwich.

Second observation is that the menu isn't all that southern, despite the claim that this is a southern restaurant. The decor and the ambience is southern-ish, but save for a pulled pork or chicken and waffles, the menu is standard club sandwich and Cobb salad sort of dishes.

Third observation is that my colleague and I were the only two Caucasians in the half-full restaurant. Della J's clearly has a southern identity, but it doesn't shine through on most of the menu items. That it draws a 90% African American clientele is unique to Springfield.

1 hour ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Went to Della J's for lunch today with a companion. It's been open about a year and a half and this was my second visit.

First observation is that the food is good by Springfield standards. The pulled pork sandwich today was pleasant and worth ordering ....

Third observation is that my colleague and I were the only two Caucasians in the half-full restaurant. Della J's clearly has a southern identity, but it doesn't shine through on most of the menu items. That it draws a 90% African American clientele is unique to Springfield.

I’ve been to Della J’s once.  A younger family member took our bartending course, trained other staff and have hired other grads.  The ownership is nice.

I enjoyed it but didn’t consider it exceptional.

There are a healthy number of predominately African American restaurants in the region.  Most that I’m aware of are in the District or PG County.  I’ve been to a number, but not all of them.  The one’s I’m thinking about do not receive  tons of region wide notice nor are often mentioned in any part of the foodie world.

When l’ve been at those places I’m one of very few non African Americans.  A lot emphasize Southern cooking— not unlike the hot chicken (Nashville) style places. (Oooh that stuff is way too hot for me)

I like Half Note Lounge in Bowie.  It’s as much about atmosphere and music and steep pours as it is about the food.   I’ve been hearing raves about Catch 22, a new place on Upper Ga Ave in DC  near the Walmart, close to the MD line.  Haven’t been there yet

7 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

First observation is that the food is good by Springfield standards. The pulled pork sandwich today was pleasant and worth ordering again. The accompanying fries were flaccid and not worth ordering again, and the side of slaw came in a thimble-sized cup, as if it was an optional topping for the pulled pork sandwich.

Second observation is that the menu isn't all that southern, despite the claim that this is a southern restaurant. The decor and the ambience is southern-ish, but save for a pulled pork or chicken and waffles, the menu is standard club sandwich and Cobb salad sort of dishes.

That's exactly what it is. Try it next time, it's harmonious.