Auld Lang Cuisine

I have a vague memory of it yet I don't recall visiting.  It could be it was too expensive for my student type budget.  Yet I went to many an Oriole game, often walked from nearby and often gobbled down an enormous but inexpensive ham and cheese sandwich along w/ a few National Boh's at the Stadium Lounge virtually right around the corner from the Gorsuch House.  But boy, the name rings a bell.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Does anyone remember Eddie and Brooks Robinson's Gorsuch House?

Gorsuch.jpegScreenshot 2018-08-10 at 15.40.55.png

Jul 13, 1964 - "Baltimore's Two Flags" by Frank Deford on si.com

To be more specific:   The name “The Gorsuch House” is one I well recall but I have not the vaguest recollection of the restaurant.  Despite a considerable effort to pull up references on the web the only clue I could find was that players, the pros, dined there.  I assume they were Orioles and Colts.   That leads me to believe it was too expensive for my meager budget and despite being a hopeless fan I avoided places where I would probably gawk.

OTOH I remember The Stadium Lounge around the corner quite well.   I ate there before or after games a fair amount.

My taste memories are quite strong.  The food was cheap and terrible!!   😱

I mostly ordered a ham and cheese.   Must have been Swiss.   Terrible bread Swiss and ham.  But huge— wider than one’s mouth - hence it filled one up.   Lots of National Bohs - also a crappy light beer, but cold and after a few they tasted much better.

Wow- pretty funny.  My budget overwhelmed any inkling to be a foodie!!!

47 minutes ago, DaveO said:

To be more specific:   The name “The Gorsuch House” is one I well recall but I have not the vaguest recollection of the restaurant.

Just to be clear, I believe the restaurant was founded by Eddie Robinson (a former major-league player, and a coach for the Orioles - no slouch, he was a 4-time All-Star who put up 20 Home Runs in 4 straight years, and won the 1948 World Series with Larry Doby and the Cleveland Indians), and Brooks Robinson was an investor during the early 60s (hence the temporary name change). Brooks essentially lent his name, and was not an active investor at all - I suspect that very first picture up above was before Brooks became an investor.

Incidentally, Eddie Robinson is 97-years old, and is still with us. Here's his 1956 Topps card for the Yankees.

Robinson.jpg

Jun 10, 2016 - "Oldest Living Yankee Eddie Robinson Takes a Bow" by Stefan Stevenson on star-telegram.com <--- I hope I look this good when I'm 95!