Eritrea (1997-) - Northeastern, Coastal, African Country - Split Off from Ethiopia

DonRocks

1 minute ago, funkyfood said:

The french way, I think. 

Ethiopia wasnt ever colonized, but was briefly occupied by Italy. Eritrea was colonized by Italians.

I'm not going to Google this: Didn't Eritrea come into existence *after* it split off from Ethiopia? Hence, after Italy colonized Ethiopia? 

I think I have something to learn here.

14 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

Ive always thought it was never a part of Ethiopia but am far far far from an expert

Ah! I suspect native Eritreans may balk at this, but Eritrea wasn't recognized as a sovereign country until 1993 (officially named in the 1997 Constitution). That doesn't mean there's a right and a wrong; only that the world in general didn't "formally" recognize Eritrea (capital, Asmara).

I also don't pretend to be an expert, so if any readers are out there, saying, 'Rockwell is fucking us over,' just write me and I'll make amends - promise - my knowledge doesn't extend much further than Wikipedia, so please, chime in.

In the mid to late ‘70s, when various revolutionary groups were in the process of overthrowing the Shah of Iran & vying for support on college campuses, I remember Eritrean support groups being just as present.  And, yes, they were talking about liberating their country from Ethiopia.  I was in grad school at the time & remember having several conversations with one of them, an avowed Maoist, who mistakenly thought that his cause would succeed way before the Shah’s foes took over Iran.  He was wrong.  But he gave me an envelope filled with the most incendiary flavorful spice mix, so I remember him fondly.  Just thought I’d throw that in, this being a food board and all.😎

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

But he gave me an envelope filled with the most incendiary flavorful spice mix, so I remember him fondly.  Just thought I’d throw that in, this being a food board and all.😎

Re:  Eritrea:   If you visit Addis Ababa and pine for club/nightlife visit The Vault.

Bar menu and bartender training provided by one of the instructors at our bartending school.  

• Like 1