1840s Carrollton Inn - A Boutique Hotel (on a Bad Block) Just North of Little Italy

DonRocks

Location and Rates for Tonight - Website

The 1840s Carrollton Inn (<--- Wikipedia Entry) is a small, 13-room, boutique hotel located just north of Little Italy. Its rooms are priced lower than they would be if it weren't in a depressed micro-area (make no mistake: Although this charming inn is a 2-minute walk from the heart of Little Italy, it will give you a "cautious feel," especially when you park in their lot - immediately north of the inn on on Albemarle Street: The parking lot looks like an impound lot, but it isn't, and parking here is free, making the hotel even that much more of a bargain).

Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 23.08.30.png <--- This is where you park, on Albemarle street - it's one-way, so make sure you're heading southbound, or you'll never find it.

See this map for reference - note how close you are to the Inner Harbor.

Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 23.11.39.png

In the past year, I've probably stayed in over a dozen hotels in Baltimore. The 1840s Carrollton Inn is one of the few places where I've stayed more than once, because it's such an excellent value ... once you're inside. Even though it's on something of a sketchy block, it's right on the border of Inner Harbor Tourism, and because of that, is a huge bargain for what you get for the money.

On this stay, I booked The Liberty Room (midweek price usually $225) for a very low price of $122 on hotels.com - I don't like hotels.com, but in this instance, it was *by far* the lowest price for this property - of note, the same room is available right now on hotels.com for the same price.

LSign.jpgLBed1.jpgLBed2.jpgLBath1.jpgLBath2.jpgLBath3.jpg

This is technically a Bed & Breakfast, so your room rate includes a full breakfast in the dining area the next morning (they'll also bring you morning coffee to your room). Breakfast here isn't terribly well-executed, but it's hearty, and it's included in the price.

RoomService.jpg

After checking in, we walked to dinner at La Tavola (click for details of the meal) - a walk of less than five minutes. The air conditioner wasn't blowing cold air, and the thermostat was stuck on 76 degrees, so after we gave up and called the front desk (literally, a 20-second walk away), they decided to upgrade us to the Declaration Suite (midweek price usually $375), making the price we paid even more absurd at the low-end (we tipped very, very well, both at the front desk, and for the cleaning folks - this was one *heck* of an upgrade).

These pictures should speak for themselves, but this is one of three "high-end" suites at the inn, and it was absolutely lovely - people less than a five-minute walk away were paying double or triple this price for a room not nearly this nice.

Bed.jpgBed2.jpgBedFoot.jpgBath.jpgBath2.jpgSittingRoom.jpgSittingRoom2.jpgSittingRoom3.jpg

1840s Carrollton Inn gets (and deserves) a strong 4-star rating.

Never stayed there, but I have stayed in hotels in Baltimore.  That is a lovely room at a great price, an excellent deal and intimately close to Little Italy and the Baltimore Harbor.  Well worth it.

I am familiar with the reason(s) certain hotels hate the web middle men such as hotel.com.  On the other hand there could be strategies and hotel booking rates that are very different.  This might be one:

it's right on the border of Inner Harbor Tourism, and because of that, is a huge bargain for what you get for the money.

On this stay, I booked The Liberty Room (midweek price usually $225) for a very low price of $122 on hotels.com - I don't like hotels.com, but in this instance, it was *by far* the lowest price for this property - of note, the same room is available right now on hotels.com for the same price.

That is a crazy great price, much lower than what is on the web for the B&B direct.  A price for this upcoming weekend is similarly much lower than what is on the website.

I think I'd also check the web beyond what the hotel offers.  There are amazing deals out there. 

Assuming a 15% surcharge by the hotel booking company that is a net of about $105 to the hotel vs the $200+/night bottom line the B&B is quoting.   Hmmm.   That is quite a differential.   I would be using hotel.com and other services for certain rooms.

4 hours ago, DaveO said:

Never stayed there, but I have stayed in hotels in Baltimore.  That is a lovely room at a great price, an excellent deal and intimately close to Little Italy and the Baltimore Harbor.  Well worth it.

It was a lovely room,  and oh so close to things. It was fun to stroll around Little Italy, and the Harbor was just a short walk away.