Ooni Pizza Oven

Seanchai

I have the ‘16 Kodi and I have been really impressed with it.  I added to my outdoor setup and have largely used the recipes that Kenji Alt-Lopez has posted on his YouTube channel.  I’ve done Neapolitan pies as well as NY style and both have produced excellent results.  It also allows for a pretty quick reload and given we have 3 kids that depending on the day vary in their pickiness - that’s been helpful too. 

• Like 1

I have the regular, 12" version coming tomorrow, with a maiden voyage expected the day after. We've been making homemade pizza for years now on the grill, and while i feel this is a solution for a problem we don't have (as our grill churns out excellent pies), I am intrigued by the top-down cooking approach and the char I expect we'll get. Our grill is hardwired to a gas line, so now i gotta get a propane tank, and a table to put the oven on, and a new pizza peel, and it's kinda turned into a whole thing, but happy wife happy life and what are you gonna do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the pro model from back when their name was uuni.

The thing I like most about it is it gets really really hot, well into the 900+°F range. The downside is that it is not really built to retain heat. You have to keep the firebox full of good hardwood to sustain high temperatures.

577734818_IMG_0353(1).jpg.a0d96d87a5d869b880b0643557c5d5c4.jpg

There is a firebrick surface for baking, but otherwise, no real thermal mass. That being said, when it is hot it cooks quickly with a nice char. Here is an example:

736675001_IMG_0634(1).jpg.473640e7d5b6bc39e3b1c0685b8aa159.jpg

I've tried multiple fuel options and only hardwood really delivers the way I want for pizza. The pellet option really stumps me. Either I completely don't understand how it is supposed to work or my pellet feeder is defective in some way. I just can't get it to put out enough energy to maintain a temperature much over 400 °F no matter how I tune the vents.

One big bonus is that once you get used to how to control the oven it can be used for a lot more than pizza. For example, here's some branzio. Everything on the plate was cooked in the oven.

488531845_IMG_0233(2).jpg.48af1e7bbcc1655bbf4aa8b7b81e8150.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg.013e914a9fc52ee287fae486f0ff207f.jpg

It's also decent for bread, but again you have to watch the fuel level and manage the temperature carefully.

1503608891_IMG_0208(1).jpg.700451d65aacd2e730eff8f59adc3d05.jpg

Overall, I'm satisfied, but only because I've taken the time and effort to learn how to use it effectively and because I'm willing to monitor and manage it while cooking.

• Like 3

Maiden voyage was a success, tho we do have some issues to work through.

The good: comes ready to use right out the box, with minor prep; easy to use controls; simple gas tank hook up.

The bad: uneven cooking, so our pizzas burned on one side, meaning you got to regularly rotate the pizza; no way to gauge temp, so you got to purchase thermal gun.

I think with some experience, we can manage these issues.

I believe we’re going to give it ago on some steaks and vegetables this evening.

Had 2 bad follow up attempts: I tried to use the oven to cook streaks, followed directions to the letter (including using an Ooni cast iron pan), only for the oven to immediately flame up and catch everything on fire, rendering the oven useless. The following night i tried to cook another pizza, again had the oven begin to burn the pizza due to catching on fire, tried to rotate the pizza only for it to stick to the stone, and despite my heroic efforts, could not salvage the pie.

I'll give it one more effort, and if it still gives me trouble, i'm returning the oven.

I returned the oven and all accessories.

We gave it the best effort possible: bought and used all suggested ingredients, used their dough recipe, bought and used the rotating peel and thermometer, followed all instructions to the letter. Basically did everything that was suggested to make this oven work. Still came out with burnt pies, an oven that wouldn’t stop catching on fire, and absurd amounts of stress all for a damn pizza oven. 

• Sad 5

Thanks for the comprehensive notes and updates, Dr. Delicious. Looks like we are sticking with our stoneware pans and the regular oven. 

In the past, considered the Breville Pizza Oven, jeez looking at it just now, the price has increased to $1K! Regardless, we're more than happy with Pupatella opening up in Reston. 

We’ve been using ours weekly for over 6 months and aside from some confusion re: how to turn the heat inside the oven down (you turn the dial “up” strangely) I’ve been beyond pleased with the koda 16.  I’ve also enjoyed using it to finish sous vide steaks and to roast Brussels sprouts and other vegetables at high heat.  I guess ymmv.

58930612-76C8-4C0B-9A83-506B208F0766.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There may be a difference in using the 16 inch that Rovers has and the 12 inch that I had. The problems I had could have been due to how compact the cooking area was. Having more space between the food and oven ceiling/walls would probably have helped the burning and flare-up issues, not sure about the uneven cooking and need for frequent rotation. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Delicious said:

There may be a difference in using the 16 inch that Rovers has and the 12 inch that I had. The problems I had could have been due to how compact the cooking area was. Having more space between the food and oven ceiling/walls would probably have helped the burning and flare-up issues, not sure about the uneven cooking and need for frequent rotation. 

This is a good point.  I've done a couple of "big" 16' pies and they're pretty tricky once you start getting near the top end of the capacity of the oven.  I scorched a couple crusts early on until I figured out how to really work the oven on the temp side.  My MO has been to get the floor of the oven up in the 750-800 degree range, launch the pie and throttle the internal flame down significantly to "set" the crust.  Then I push the heat back up and "spin" the pie around to finish it.

That said - my advice to anyone looking to take the plunge would be to go with the 16.  Its big enough that I feel like I can crank out what I need but still compact enough that I pack it up and store it in our garage until its time for its next use.

The device has saved me a decent amount of money as I'd strongly considered building a "true" pizza oven when I build my outdoor kitchen...now I think this is probably good enough.

• Like 3