Sweet Science, NoMA

DaRiv18

Slow bar at Sweet Science takes pourovers to a whole 'nother level here in DC.  Amazing experience.  They strip their water to 0 TDS, and then add back in certain minerals to optimize the extraction of a bean's fruit or other defining characteristics.  I enjoyed an Ethiopian roasted by Five Elephant, prepared in a Chemex.  At the bar, the barista served it to me in probably 2 oz pours in a wide and shallow ceramic cup.  Although she had brewed it at 206 degrees, it was served around 135, and the flavors just popped.  

Destination coffee spot.  Don't be in a hurry there, definitely order from the slow bar.

I was just there 90 minutes ago. I'd never heard of it before yesterday. Funny you posted about it today. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and just got the house drip. It tasted fine but was lukewarm. I'm really not a coffee connoisseur, but I enjoyed the space and the service. Also, it smelled REALLY good in there (like cinnamon buns), but I didn't eat anything.

Stopped by again Sunday mid-morning, ordered from the slow bar.  Since there was already two orders ahead of me, I was quoted a 20 minute wait.  35 minutes later, I had my order!  A El Salvador roast, again from Five Elephant.  A perfect extraction, this place is great (but bring a book).