How can you help the DMV Dining Scene?

curiouskitkatt

Just my opinion, our purpose here is to help one another. There are countless ways we can do this. Whether it is donating to a gofundme campaign, putting out a call for volunteers, sending an SOS to which neighborhood restos could use help, helping a neighbor with a grocery drop, directing resources, Etc... 

Someone could simply share & contribute to this post. That’s how we help. 

#lookforthehelpers, 

kat

I do not want to minimize how important gift cards can be in helping restaurants survive in the short run. The same with delivery and to go ordering. A gift card is a loan that is paid back by a free  meal at the backend. Restaurants selling a lot of cards might be around afterwards, but then face a liability in the outstanding gift cards that can be redeemed. So plan on using your gift cards slowly or gift them to people you know have never been to the restaurant in question to help them build a post shutdown clientele. Also, consider usig the gift card only for 10% or 20% of the bill and never use the gift card for tips or tax. These are real cash flow items the restaurant owed $ for $. Using a gift card for these means $ out the door with nothing coming in. These are ways a restaurant can cover its costs when you redeem. 

I know a lot of restaurants are lobbying for delivery of alcohol on a longterm basis and I hesitate to support this except during the shutdown and a short time during the recovery. Helping restaurants and bars at the expense of wine & liquor stores in not a grat answer. On the opther hand, liquor laws being what they ar in VA and MOCO, let those restaurants and bars sell delivery or retail in those jurisdictions {booze in both VA and MOCO.} and end the country monopoly on distribution immediately in MOCO. 

But let's face it: most restaurants will be devastated and are not going to reopen after a prolonged lockdown, or even 2 as Dr. Fauci is now predicting a second wave in September and there are now models that tell you when to lockdown based on the density of cases. The only possible solution is governmental assistance via grants for small businesses, loans for larger ones, rent relief, wage replacement and long term help for equipment and repairs needed post shutdown. 

To get this, we must lobby our senators, house reps and local governments. This is the best help you can offer. Independent restaurants are forming lobbying groups and so are the local restaurant associations. But consumer/taxpayer support will help greatly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for chiming in @deangold . Lots  of people are asking whats the best way they can help? 

Should I continue to buy carry out, but gift cards, or give directly to gofundme campaigns? I want to be able to do all of the above , and will do the best I can, & encourage everyone to help in any means they can afford to. 

1 hour ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Thank you for chiming in @deangold . Lots  of people are asking whats the best way they can help? 

Should I continue to buy carry out, but gift cards, or give directly to gofundme campaigns? I want to be able to do of the above , and will do the best I can, & encourage everyone to help in any means they can afford to. 

Go fund me is a relatively low cost way to contribute but be careful about the rewards you select. The same caveats apply. I think in many go fund mes you can choose no reward. You could also give the reward to an affected employee. Buy buying to go and tiipping generously is best. 

Our going out budget is slim and we are supporting small local businesses when we do order pick up. We call directly so they incur no fees. I think a lot of people forget about calling. If the restaurant directs you to online, do so. But most of these ordering systems involve a fee. On the other hand, picking up a phone and taking an order on the line incurs a cost. Let the restaurant pick the tradeoff they prefer.