Curated Wine Collections available for purchase

1 hour ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I strongly advise people not to get sucked into this. This appears to be a marketing shtick for a "wine curating" company, and not people's private collections for sale; otherwise, they'd come right out and say what wines are for offer. Trust your local retailer, Katt!

Example: I called Doug Rosen at Arrowine a couple of days ago, and asked him to put me together a mixed case for $300-ish. He went above-and-beyond, and gave me 12 different wines that cost about $220, all of them very good (so far). I drove up, called, picked up the case outside, and left - easy as pie, and the wines are super-interesting (as long as the retailer is halfway decent, and knows the style of wines you enjoy, you'll be more than fine).

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I strongly advise people not to get sucked into this. This appears to be a marketing shtick for a "wine curating" company, and not people's private collections for sale; otherwise, they'd come right out and say what wines are for offer. Trust your local retailer, Katt!

Example: I called Doug Rosen at Arrowine a couple of days ago, and asked him to put me together a mixed case for $300-ish. He went above-and-beyond, and gave me 12 different wines that cost about $220, all of them very good (so far). I drove up, called, picked up the case outside, and left - easy as pie, and the wines are super-interesting (as long as the retailer is halfway decent, and knows the style of wines you enjoy, you'll be more than fine).

Perhaps “curated collections” is not the right wording for what is being offered. 

Mix bottles? I pick, you buy? Whatever it may be, people want wine. Ill leave it up to the consumer to decide for themselves. I appreciate your heed of caution, like with everything, I am just offering suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me, it's a closed DC restaurant in Petworth trying to turn its wine inventory into cash. Legitimate under current temporary rules, but two big caveats. In the DC Covid Wine Guide, Seco Wine has listed its location as TBD. That's a big NoNo. Alcohol licenses attach to specific addresses. I also did a search of the DC license database for Seco Wine, and came up empty, but the database hasn't been updated since July 2019, so that could explain it, but the lack of specified location is still problematic.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Count Bobulescu said:

Seems to me, it's a closed DC restaurant in Petworth trying to turn its wine inventory into cash. Legitimate under current temporary rules, but two big caveats. In the DC Covid Wine Guide, Seco Wine has listed its location as TBD. That's a big NoNo. Alcohol licenses attach to specific addresses. I also did a search of the DC license database for Seco Wine, and came up empty, but the database hasn't been updated since July 2019, so that could explain it, but the lack of specified location is still problematic.

Jack Rose, from what Im reading, has auctioned off their collection to come up with cash during their closing as well. 

Laws were passed so mixed cocktails could be sold to create a semblance of revenue. 

Desperate measures are being made to try to make money. Is it good? Is it legal? Will it pose problems down the line in relation to keeping their liquor license? I have no idea to all of the above. 

54 minutes ago, Count Bobulescu said:

You know what? I thought the name Carlie Steiner (and another one) sounded familiar - Carlie was co-owner of Himitsu (now Pom Pom), and opened Dos Mami's last year.

I would turn a blind eye to what restaurants are trying to do in this environment; at first, I thought this was some lame "wine of the month" club, but it's just well-meaning restaurant owners trying to survive. This is probably the best type of marketing for 95% of consumers.

47 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Jack Rose, from what Im reading, has auctioned off their collection to come up with cash during their closing as well. 

I would think that if anyplace in the world had the resources to survive this, it would be Jack Rose. Bill Thomas has almost surely become a very wealthy man by virtue of inventory appreciation.

8 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Pop up shops are what they are doing. 

9BAC9C23-8831-4E2D-8B7F-A590D7BE7B82.jpeg

A26E81CC-8742-414B-846C-33AB0717B56C.jpeg

#repost via the Jack Rose Dining Saloon FB page

Our fellow whisk(e)y lovers — the demand has been so great, our website crashed, our phone lines were busy, we are so appreciative for all the interest and support!
Please visit the link here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n8iohy728n5yy13/AADRApIx13CEfCwAs2MtOj-ma?dl=0. You will find the Whisk(e)y by the ounce menu — these prices do not NOT include discounts, so please take 50% off whiskeys $100+ per ounce, and 20% off all others. You’ll also find cocktails to-go, food and more.
These are subject to availability. If you’d like to place phone orders to-go, our lines will be open tomorrow (3/20) at 12:30. Our small team is trying to respond to everyone individually so thank you so much for your patience.
We will be open tomorrow at 1pm, with guests’ and staff’s safety at top priority, so expect many precautions in place including limited entrance, safe distancing & quick to-go service.
If you’re looking for anything specific, send us a DM or text our owner Bill personally (202-262-5637) and he will get back to everyone as soon as we can. We are overwhelmed by the support and hope that this will keep us and our staff here for decades to come. Thank you all. ❤️

Willet Rye and Bourbon

Did you know I introduced Bill Thomas and Jake Parrott back in 2006? Jake came down to Adams Morgan, I picked their brains for this article, and a friendship was born. I've never been clear on exactly what happened, but I think this had something to do with Willet's existence in Washington, DC.

Dec 1, 2006 - "Spirit of America" by Don Rockwell on washingtonian.com