A Gin Comparison

Given our Pimm's project, we needed a bunch of gin. The first purchase was a 1.75 liter of Bombay sapphire on sale. This covered the fruit but did not fill the first 2 half gallon mason jars. So back to the VABC for another 1.75 of sapphire and 2 x 1.75's of Gordons. 

So once home, we finished off the pimms filling and now are heat infusing 4 half galllon jars: 2 Gordon's and 2 Bombay Sapphire {around 140 degrees for 3 hours. Too cool to boil off alcohol or water.} Then we tasted th Gordon's to see what is up with a cheap gin. It was nice! SO I pulled my English style gins off the bar and we tasted them.

Gordons {80 proof) Surprisingly good. Classic gin w/pine & juniper notes an the nose, very gin like in a lighter, smooth style in the mouth.

Brokers {94 proof} Very good indeed. Big, bold, classic gin. Lots of pine and spice on the nose, almost earthy. My personal favorite of the quartet.

Bombay Sapphire {94 proof} More floral/spicy than either of the above, a tad lighter than the Brokers, much fuller than the Gordon's. This is my go to gin for Corpse revivers and variants.

Plymouth {82.4 proof} Very different as it was the only non London dry style. Plymouth is its own style. Lighter, much closer to the Gordons befitting their lower proof. But the Plymouth has a delightful floral style and really has a delicacy.

I now know that I need a Plymouth Martini when I am looking to refresh and the Brokers when I want to be braced. The Plymouth is for times I need to be treated gently {like after a loud meowing session from Spot!} The gordons is being infused with 3 kinds of Chili's, Arbol, Gaujillo, and Aleppo with black peppercorn, allspice, cinnamon & clove. It is destined for bloody mary's. There is some straight Gordons left, and I will either do a fruit infusion or go for a G & T, with plenty of lime, on a hot day. The Bombay will still be my CR choice, and I will branch out into Bee's Knees.

• Like 1

Interesting project. Have you considered adding Tanqueray and Hendricks into your comparisons? I think of Tanqueray as a typical London juniper forward gin and Hendricks as one of the first new non-juniper gins.

I didn't put Hendricks or Green hat into my mix. Tanq because I don't have any and Kay has this thing about  paying the rent before we buy our 10th bottle of gin {Spot doesn't understang this obsession, he things the priority is pizza, cat chow and cat treats then rent because he like his {formerly our} bed. We also did thins test before dinner on relatively empty stomachs. There was a limit. I was surprised at how different and floral & spice the Plymouth was. 

I do want a bottle of Tanq as it was the gin of my childhood: I learned to make martinis making tanquerey martinis by the pitcher for him. I used to get to lick the bar spoon nad to eat the garnishing onions or olives. One of the greater benefits from having an alcoholic father. At least I learned my booze. 

I recently have added a bottle of Del Maguey Vida Mezcal, a good bottle of rye, Templeton, a couple of bottles of rum {Barbancourt 5* which is an amazing aged agricole/pure cane juice rum and Clement Canne white {again, pure cane/agricole} which is very hard to get at the VABC. My local store got a single case which they did not put into their online inventory} an every day bourbon {Kay drinks bourbon more than anything else: evan williams 1983 is really superb,  and we need another good rye as this bottle of templeton is defective with too fast evaporation. So Tanq keeps on getting pushed back.

• Like 1

One of my favorite gins has not been easy for me to find in the states, but is called G'vine.  It is a gin made with grapes which explains the name.  A friend brought me some back from duty free on a trip to Paris after liking it.  I was pleasantly surprised to see it mentioned in The Drunken Botanist.

• Like 1

I enjoy Hendrick's. But we have largely switched to Sipsmith. I love, love love Monkey42 I think it is called (Bavarian believe it or not). But my whole being pines for Isle of Harris Gin from Scotland - sean beansin the mix) - so damn good. I hear they ar enow exporting to Canada and am hoping it makes it to the USA soon.

1 hour ago, Pool Boy said:

I enjoy Hendrick's. But we have largely switched to Sipsmith. I love, love love Monkey42 I think it is called (Bavarian believe it or not). But my whole being pines for Isle of Harris Gin from Scotland - sean beansin the mix) - so damn good. I hear they ar enow exporting to Canada and am hoping it makes it to the USA soon.

Have not tried Sipsmith yet. Heard good things. It's on sale for $34.99 this month at the VABC. What is it like?

What I drink most is Brokers by a long bit, as it is my choice for negroni, martinis and I like to play with it in other drinks. Then it is Bombay Sapphire for corpse revivers and the ocasional Martinez. Hendricks and Green Hat for a chance of pace. And really any gin can be used in a negroni if you just adjust you choice of campari-like element and vermouth-like element. We have not been drinking as many Negronis as usual lately. Have no idea why. 

21 hours ago, deangold said:

Have not tried Sipsmith yet. Heard good things. It's on sale for $34.99 this month at the VABC. What is it like?

What I drink most is Brokers by a long bit, as it is my choice for negroni, martinis and I like to play with it in other drinks. Then it is Bombay Sapphire for corpse revivers and the ocasional Martinez. Hendricks and Green Hat for a chance of pace. And really any gin can be used in a negroni if you just adjust you choice of campari-like element and vermouth-like element. We have not been drinking as many Negronis as usual lately. Have no idea why. 

It's got a bit of a punch, but is in balance and forward. Great overall cocktail base IMO.