Pinsa - a Roman Variation of Pizza Arrives in DC

DonRocks

Pinsa Love

A couple of months ago, I got a message from one of our long-time members, Jordan Feinberg, seeking my advice for what sounded like an exciting project - a labor of love and passion.

Have you ever heard of a “pinsa?” Jordan discovered these while traveling in Italy, and has poured his heart into making them available in the Washington, DC area.

A pinsa is similar to a pizza, but it has a light, cloud-like crust due to more water and less salt in the dough (which also gives it fewer calories). The crust - which is like no other pizza crust I’ve ever tasted - uses a 72-hour fermentation, and in its final shape, is mottled with indentations due to it having been manually prodded and poked - the crust is thick, and when cooked, gives the illusion of being still wet (even though it’s not) with a thin, crispy periphery - top and bottom. The Latin “pinsere” means “to pound or stamp,” and that applies here - a pinsa isn’t perfectly round; it’s irregular and slightly oblong.

Jordan’s pinsa has a crust that’s as good or better than any frozen pizza I’ve tasted. I sampled numerous versions, giving him feedback on what worked, what needed work, and what might work in today’s marketplace. And now that the pinsa has actually come to market, I was one of his first paying customers, and several versions of pinsa are sitting in my freezer as I type this.

I would encourage people to start with a Classic Pinsa ($10.99), as this really lets the crust stand out, and from there, go on to some of the standard and exotic offerings (I’m curious to try the Nonna which is a riff on a classic Philadelphia roast pork-and-broccoli rabe sandwich; also the Carbone Classic which has a crust activated by charcoal and whole grains (apparently, charcoal is a popular, modern, “detox” method)).

When you heat the pinsa, make sure you follow the directions and do it in your oven, but I can vouch that they reheat the next day just fine in a microwave without losing much of the “moist” quality in the crust.

I have no financial interest in this product; I just answered a call for some advice, and now I look forward to being a paying customer, and hopefully watching the rise of the great American pinsa.

Jordan’s website is www.Pinsa.Love, and you’ll also find ordering information there. 

Good luck to Jordan and his pinsa, which I hope will become a staple in many a DMV freezer.

Cheers,
Rocks

pinsa.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithA said:

Thanks for sharing. I'd recommend you add more vegetarian options.

Timing is everything, shortly we are adding 2 vegetarian Pinsas-  Truffle Mushroom and Ricotta Pinsa and Italian Vegetable Pinsa- made with a yellow passata sauce.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Pinsa!  We ordered three Pinsa pizzas - free delivery - and loved all three on a Saturday night.  As Don noted, the crust is terrific, size is modest, ingredients are first rate.  Instructions (thawing, timing) were spot on which provided terrific pizzas. 

We enjoyed the Classic, Foresta and Spicy Carne.  I would order all three again and maybe several more to store in the freezer.  I realize Jordan has a new enterprise so I am hopeful distribution arrangements will soon be announced so we can purchase directly from a retail outlet (say, Balduccis) instead of ordering and having it delivered.

Ordered four pinsas today - free delivery with orders over $35.  Jordan said the Westover branch of the Italian Store is carrying the plain pinsa in its freezer section.  though the margharita is not as exciting as the other offerings its a convenient way to try a pinsa if you are nearby.

• Like 1

Kind of cool Pinsa News...

Sfoglina, both Van Ness and Rosslyn have added Pinsas to their menus...and we are making the Pinsa crusts for them.  They have 2 varieties that are being prepared and finished in their kitchens.  Having a chef add toppings after the Pinsa comes out of the oven is amazing, something we can't do with our frozen Pinsas. Initial feedback has been great!

Only dine in for now, but they will be doing third party delivery soon. 

Also, Yes Organic Markets will have 3 varieties available (Classic, 5 cheese Carbone, and Foresta).  The Brookland location (12th St, NE) is the first store, with others to start shortly.  We are now using organic ground pork in our sausage to work within their mission.

• Like 1