Grill basket for fish

naxos

I'm also on the search for a good basket or grill fish plate. Wife has been getting tired of salmon dishes. 

Picked up the Sur La Table Cast Iron Fish Pan last weekend but haven't used it yet. Instead broiled some Hake in the toaster oven which turned up pretty good. 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, lion said:

I'm also on the search for a good basket or grill fish plate. Wife has been getting tired of salmon dishes. 

Picked up the Sur La Table Cast Iron Fish Pan last weekend but haven't used it yet. Instead broiled some Hake in the toaster oven which turned up pretty good. 

Please let me know how it works. Thanks 

Will do but it may be a couple of weeks. Was planning on BBQ on Saturday but it looks like rain. 

Last weekend ended up getting some Hake from Blacksalt and broiling it in the toaster oven which turned out pretty good! 

On 6/20/2021 at 10:31 AM, naxos said:

Looking to find a good basket to grill whole fish on outdoor grill. Reviews all seem to be negative . Any suggestions?

I have a generic square basket which can hold 2 whole fish.  Get the fish cleaned, head and fins off. Season, stuff with herbs and aromatics and grill for about 8-10 minutes each side.   Works great. 

I don't see the need for a basket to grill whole fish. I regularly get fish cleaned, fins and scales removed but leave head and tail on. Then I covered the outside with some oil, heavy dose of kosher salt and season the inside, stuff with lemons and fresh herbs. Just make sure your grill is pretty hot and the fish is cooked enough to release. I throw it on, cook one side and then flip. Easy peasy and rarely have any sticking. Skin comes out all crackly and crispy and fish inside is moist and delicious. If you want extra security against sticking, oil the grill grates too. Lots of grill tools are not essential, give it a try.

I also recommend eating the fish as you fillet it - it is best way to get all of the grill flavor and keep the fish warm.

The summer fly by and the iron fish pan has sat on the counter next to the bamboo steamer unused. 

I guess in someways going places again has been the cause which is great. Unfortunately the graveyard of unused cooking items at home continues to justify my wife's raised eyebrows when talking about organizing the kitchen.