Apero - Georgetown cafe by day and champagne/caviar bar by night

My wife and I went last night for the first time to Apero in Georgetown and really enjoyed ourselves. We wanted champagne to celebrate a special occasion and the sommelier did a great job with suggestions and helping us select a bottle that was a good fit for us. The food was very good. We have gotten a bit jaded after covid where when we go to a restaurant we really want the food to stand out as something special and not simply a good rendition of a dish we could make at home. We were not disappointed. We started with a nice cheese plate with 3 less common cheeses with some sliced apple, crostini and fruit spread. Then we enjoyed their black truffle gougeres (really nice small bread puffs with a nice amount of truffle flavor/aroma) along with the two best dishes of the night: hamachi crudo with asian pear and radish, and heirloom tomato carpaccio with ribiola cheese and basil. Both were elegant, so fresh, and delicious. Our large plates were the pappardelle with lemon riccota cream and a small amount of caviar and the chicken piccata. The pasta was delightful and not too heavy as the cream was light. The chicken was very lemony and very good. We finished by sharing their caramel bread pudding with vanilla gelato. The bread pudding was rich an yummy but the gelato was only so so. We agreed it would be fun to come back and enjoy some more drinks and share some plates with friends for a happy hour or light meal. They do have actual happy hour during mid-week. It is also tucked away on P St in a less busy part of Georgetown in an old townhouse that they have decorated very nice plus they have a back covered patio plus a few tables at a streetery.

• Like 5

Glad to see this review. I walk past here a fair amount and was intrigued, so I made a reservation for dinner earlier in the summer. Then I got covid...so, I still haven't been. This gives me some incentive to re-book.

• Like 3