Muchas Gracias - modern Mexican in small space in Upper NW

I couldn't find a thread for this now several year old restaurant so created a new one. Please combine if I missed the old thread.

Muchas Gracias is very small (about 20 seat, cramped) but airy and nice restaurant with a small 4 or so table patio (some on a deep slant) serving modern Mexican food. The menu has the usual chips, salsa, quesadillas, tacos plus a few more less common options. That is where the comparison ends though to other taqueria. They make almost everything in house from the dark slightly thick addictive chips, to the great salsas, and fresh corn tortillas. There have a been a few stories in the local food press how the chef pivoted from a big space to this tiny pop-up that is now permanent due to the pandemic. We went on Saturday for lunch and really enjoyed the food which is high quality (but also a bit pricey too). We enjoyed a lot the chip service with cashew "queso" (seems to have a mix of mustard in it - I really liked it), chipotle-tomato salsa, tomatillo salsa, and macha salsa (this one was new too me and is mostly oil with seeds and a bit of chilies - very nice). All of the salsas were nicely flavored with a nice variety. None of them were spicy though but I thought the lack of spice really let the flavors of the chiles and other ingredients come through. We added guacamole which was also super fresh and tasty (again not spicy at all). We shared the taco platter with the short rib birrea. The platter is really a make your own taco setup with a platter of warm small corn tortillas, side of garlicly rice and black beans and a bowl with the meat/main filling. The platter was enough to feed 2 or more people if that is all you wanted. We also tried the completed charred sweet potatoes (you get 2 medium size ones each cut in half for 4 small servings) accompanied by the slightly spicy and sweet salsa negra, large salt flakes and chipotle-butter (not spicy). I thought the sweet potatos paled in comparison to the other dishes but I think I was distracted. I brought half home and on second eating thought it was great with the accompaniments. Looking forward to eating more from their menu on my next visit (or getting carry out - they offer the usual menu plus full taco family meals). We didn't try it but they have a big menu of tequilla/mezcal as well as other drinks too. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, KeithA said:

I couldn't find a thread for this now several year old restaurant so created a new one. Please combine if I missed the old thread.

We did delivery with them many times during the early pandemic and were excited at the addition (particularly because Gringos only did carry out which was an absolute logistical horror at the time).  Glad to hear they've blossomed with the eating space.

Great service and very enjoyable meal last Saturday for dinner. The place is very small and so we made a reservation. When we showed up on time it was full inside and several people eating on the patio (they had heat lamps but we wanted to be inside). After waiting a few minutes, they figured out that people were lingering and so they offered us drinks and chips and salsa outside while we waited. It did take a while to move inside, but the servers regularly checked on us and the housemade purple chips and salsas (3 types - roasted tomato, tomatillo-serrano, and seed oil (this last is really good and different than you find other places) are excellent). Mango and classic margheritas hit the spot too. Once inside, the 4 of us had some great food. The steak quesdallia was huge and very good - beef was seasoned and charred nicely. The kid's burrito did the trick. My wife and I opted for the extended RW menus - $55 for a lot of food including more chips/salsas. First course was a really nice salad with roasted and raw veg and a room temp not too spicy guajillo pepper pozole soup with hominy. Both we large portions as were the entrees too. The soup was interesting but lacked some flavor - although I like the texture of the hominy. I'm not partial to not hot soup though so maybe it was just not to my personal taste. Entrees were a very special pink mole with duck breast to be eaten straight or wrapped in homemade mini tortillas and rice. The mole was really good and had a nutty-ness to it that hit perfectly. The duck was a bit chewy and would have been better more rare. The other entree was a big branzino with pickled vegetables on the side and covered with a black thick sauce (like a mole but more paste like). It was very good and also came with rice and tortillas. For dessert we chose the chocolate tres leches cake which was a very good rendition and not too chocolaty, but the second choice was excellent - horchata sorbet. It tasty like a solid, creamy version of a horchata drink but then added sprinkles of crunchies to it that made it wonderful. The servers who constantly checked on us, refilled waters, etc. said it took them a really long time to develop the sorbet. Even without RW, it is really nice place with great food and the menu offers a chance to expand your taste beyond the usual Mexican/Tex-Mex offerings but elevated versions of those typically offerings are still available if some of your party really want tacos and quesadillas.

• Like 3

Prompted partly by @KeithA, we visited Muchas Gracias last weekend while visiting DC.  Really glad we did - had never been in person and head a really nice first outdoor meal of the season.

We got two appetizers to share - the aguachile special and the avocado crab salad.  The former is a saucier shrimp ceviche with a bit of jalapeno kick.  The crab avocado dish was a real delight for someone who has been out of Maryland for a while.  Huge chunks of blue crab with avocado and a nice slaw underneath.  Not the most beautiful presentation, but all the right flavors and textures together.  Would order this again in a heartbeat.

For mains, we ordered fish tacos (which came with a smoking hot habanero salsa), enchilada con mole, and a couple orders of quesabirria.  The first and last were very good - I might have liked a bit more flavor on the taco other than the salsa.  Quesabirria is just a flavor bomb - adored by both that ordered it.  The only real disappointment of the meal was the enchiladas - specifically the mole.  Mole should have deep, soulful flavors - this one just fell a little flat.

Drinks were tasty and overall a very nice experience.  Can't wait to return when I move back.

Crabavocado.jpg

Quesabirria.jpg

• Like 5