Chung Dam Korean Restaurant in Annandale

We were going to Duck Chang but I spotted a new place on Google Map that looks interesting.  Chung Dam does not have an official website but it has an Instagram account.  You can see the current menu on Instagram.  After viewing the Instagram and Google Map photos, the place seems to cater to groups of people who want to drink and eat (and then belt out tunes)?  For example, the Jokbal (braised pigs trotter) by itself was probably enough to fill up Steve and me.  But we also ordered some stir fired kimchi and pork belly.  Everyone seems to order the Jokbal so we had to try that but we were at a loss as to what else to order and had consulted our waiter for advice.  We rejected his first suggestion of fried chicken gizzard but did accept the kimchi and pork belly because Steve loves pork belly and I just wanted some veggies.  As it turned out, the pork belly was overcooked and dry.  But the Jokbal was nice (but maybe under seasoned?)  The Jokbal came with dipping sauces so the under seasoning maybe intentional?  I happen to carry a bottle of finishing salt so that came in handy.  Maybe we can organize a group dinner here?!  Need someone who can guide us though.

IMG_7688.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The menu got bigger.  The seafood pancake had nicely cooked shrimp as well as squid.  It would be perfect if just a little crispier on the outside.  The also have spicy jokbal - I really wanted to try it but my stomach just can't handle spicy food these days and I was told these were really spicy.  They also have a cold buck wheat noodle dish that tastes similar to japchae (sauce was on the side and they give you a plastic glove so you can pour the sauce on and mix the whole thing up with your hand).

The crowd is mostly young and Korean.  

The QR code menu has pictures of all the dishes....that really helped us.  The prices are reasonably, cheap even considering the amount of food they throw at you.

Grover and I are going to make a dinner trip to check out the food.  If it's up to her standards (and the haemul panjang with shrimp is definitely interesting) we may propose a Don Rockwell dinner here.  We're planning on going next Sunday if anyone would like to tag along.  Post and let me know you'd like to join us (and aren't afraid to let someone else order) and we'll set a time.

BTW, they do have a website now.  From the pictures, the food looks very good.