Cake Flour (Slightly Lower in Protein than All-Purpose Flour)

Anna Blume

Anna Blume said:
Are there any local stores for non-professionals that sell cake flour in larger quantities than the small boxes of Swan at Safeway or Giant? I'm not in the market for tons. It just would be nice to spend less than $2.90 for 1-2 lbs.

I don't know about area stores, but King Arthur Flour sells a 3 lb. bag for $2.95, and I usually order 2-3 bags at a time. I have several of these for storage.

On 12/5/2006 at 6:24 PM, Heather said:

I don't know about area stores, but King Arthur Flour sells a 3 lb. bag for $2.95, and I usually order 2-3 bags at a time. I have several of these for storage.

King Arthur flours are often generally available now in a lots of grocery stores (at least the high volume movers). That said, my wife orders all sort of flours still online from there and other places.

If you Google "cake flour," one of the things that comes up is this - a nice perk that didn't exist when this thread was started:

The primary difference between cake flour and all-purpose (AP) flour is the protein content (which becomes gluten). The protein content of cake flour is about 8%, while the protein content of AP flour is about 10-11%. When you're making cakes, you want to use a flour that's lower in protein.