Tomato and Veal Pasta Sauce

porcupine

This isn't an emergency - I have a few days. But...

An old recipe (origin unknown) for a tomato and veal pasta sauce calls for veal shoulder, finely cut up, browned in a pot, mixed with various sauteed aromatics and tomato , etc.

As I recall, the result was good but could've been better. I'm thinking maybe roasting or braising the meat whole (I have a two pound boneless piece) and then shredding into the sauce, to better develop the flavor of the meat.

What do you all think? How should I go about it? Thanks.

This isn't an emergency - I have a few days. But...

An old recipe (origin unknown) for a tomato and veal pasta sauce calls for veal shoulder, finely cut up, browned in a pot, mixed with various sauteed aromatics and tomato , etc.

As I recall, the result was good but could've been better. I'm thinking maybe roasting or braising the meat whole (I have a two pound boneless piece) and then shredding into the sauce, to better develop the flavor of the meat.

What do you all think? How should I go about it? Thanks.

Perhaps this might be of some interest. When I make the tomato pork sauce for the Mardi Gras pasta I mentioned elsewhere, the recipe calls for the boneless pork loin to be cut into thick slices (maybe 6 slices for 2 lbs.) Those slices get browned, simmered in the sauce and then shredded later on. That might be a middle approach between browning the meat whole and cutting into small pieces. I always find the flavor of this sauce wonderful, and I suspect that the multiple surfaces of the meat being browned at the beginning have something to do with the depth of the flavor.

Depends on the pasta shape, methinks. Think about how the shreds (and no matter how finely you try to chop it, it will have a shreddy texture) will work with the chosen pasta shape.

Instead of roasting the veal, I might just incorporate some veal stock/brown chicken stock into the sauce to get that extra meatiness and body.

Maybe you could think of it like a classic Bolognese, where the meat has been previously potroasted (braised) and then shredded or ground for the sauce.

I would brown and then oven braise the veal in a stock-wine mix with aromatic veg and herbs at low temp for a couple of hours. It doesn't have to be super tender, because it will be ground and re-cooked in the sauce the next day. You can strain, reduce and use the braising liquid in the pasta sauce or save it for another dish.

In case anyone wants to know how I made the tomato and veal sauce recently discussed in the Kitchen 911 thread, here it is. Please note: amounts are approximate.

Brown a 2lb boneless veal shoulder in oil; add half an onion, a carrot, a celery stalk, and chicken stock to halfway up the meat; cover and braise in oven a few hours until very tender and easily shredded.

In a large pot cook one finely chopped yellow onion, six finely chopped carrots, five finely chopped celery stalks in a good amount of olive oil. Add: the braised veal, shredded; four 28 oz cans ground tomato; the strained stock from the braised veal; about a cup of mushroom broth (soak dried porcini in hot water, squeeze, and strain); a few cloves minced garlic, and good handful parsley, finely chopped; some basil, oregano, salt, pepper; some finely chopped roasted red bell pepper; cook uncovered at a simmer until nicely reduced. Add a good glug of the red wine you're serving with dinner and season to taste.

Wish I knew what inspired this recipe. I found it on an old index card, clearly from my "more is better" phase of cooking. (My tastes are simpler now; basic marinara is my preference. Even better is coarsely chopped just-off-the-vine fruit tossed with just-picked basil, olive oil, garlic, and hot fettucine.) I do believe braising the veal made a big difference in the taste.

The final use for this sauce is on a four-cheese lasagne, now in the oven awaiting my guests.