Wolfgang Puck

Al Dente

HSUS doesn't want us to eat, wear, or own animals. Anything that has to do with that organization, or with PeTA or ASPCA, is suspect in my mind for those reasons.

They are the catalyst behind the enactment of mandatory spay/neuter laws in many areas (thank Heaven not in Virginia yet, allthough next year might be different), as well as the bans on Foie Gras.

We should be opposing them at every turn. IMO.

HSUS doesn't want us to eat, wear, or own animals. Anything that has to do with that organization, or with PeTA or ASPCA, is suspect in my mind for those reasons.

They are the catalyst behind the enactment of mandatory spay/neuter laws in many areas (thank Heaven not in Virginia yet, allthough next year might be different), as well as the bans on Foie Gras.

We should be opposing them at every turn. IMO.

Well, we're veering into politics here (Mktye, are you listening?), but some of us (well, me anyway) could hardly disagree more. Yes, PETA carries things to indefensible excess at times, but the points that Puck made in the original piece are perfectly valid. There is no reason to stuff ourselves with foie gras so long as geese need to suffer the way they do to create it. There are other luxury substances out there for us to eat and enjoy. And we don't need to be wrapping ourselves in furs, at least not furs that are sourced from wild animals caught in steel leg-hold traps--there are many ways to be stylish that don't require that.

It is totally false to claim that ASPCA wants to keep anyone from owning or eating animals, and even HSUS, tho more aggressive, isn't going that far. The true issue is humane treatment, particularly of animals being raised for slaughter. And the bottom line is that humane treatment is not hard nor expensive. Many commercial animal owners feel the same way--it's the bad actors who muddy the water, and we need better regulations and enforcement to level the playing field for all.

And just what is the objection to proposed mandatory spay/neuter laws? This is like the typical Billy-Bob stance; "I ain't gonna neuter my doggie---it jest ain't roit." Well, it isn't right to be euthanizing them by the millions either, and that's exactly the alternative.