Sushi Platters

hillvalley

I need to get a couple of sushi platters for the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Kotobuki is at the top of my list, but I figured I would throw this out there for discussion. I need enough for about 45 people. How much do I need? Anyplace do an excellent job?

I need to get a couple of sushi platters for the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Kotobuki is at the top of my list, but I figured I would throw this out there for discussion. I need enough for about 45 people. How much do I need? Anyplace do an excellent job?

Hinata has party platters. Depending on the prices you could also pick up some uncut sashimi-grade stuff from Daruma and cut it into plain ol' sashimi yourself. Also at one point my aunt bought really good sashimi from H-mart, so that might also be a possibility.

The SuperH in Fairfax has a independent Sushi operator on the premises. While he can certainly do your lunch order, and there is a great selection of fresh prepackaged sushi to buy. Included with the pre-packaged orders are several large ($50-$75) platters that can be picked up or special ordered. The sushi was fantastic there and a great deal price wise. The platters made me remark on how great it would be to bring one of these to the picnic on ice.

Check with some of the areas Sushi restaurants and you may find one that does a carryout business (like Wasabi). Maybe a copy of the Washingtonian might help in this area.

The other idea I would share is to find a sushi chef that makes house calls and might come by and show your guests how to roll sushi.

Stick with Kotobuki or Hinata. STAY AWAY from H Mart!

Although it's been a while since I ordered sushi platters from here -- Murasaki on Wisconsin Ave (Tenley area) has beautiful and very tasty platters. The prices might be a bit more, but the presentation and quality are pretty high and worth it in my opinion.

We ended up going with Kotobuki. The only difficult part was that Abe, the owner, wanted us to come in at the begining of the dinner hours to talk about what we wanted. The results thought were fantastic. It's a rule that you have to have sushi at a hillvalley family event-if it's not there the guests complain-and Kotobuki lived up to our hopes and expectations. The sushi was fresh and delicious and came with enough soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger to feed two or three parties. There is no need to look any further for take out platters.

We ended up going with Kotobuki. The only difficult part was that Abe, the owner, wanted us to come in at the begining of the dinner hours to talk about what we wanted. The results thought were fantastic. It's a rule that you have to have sushi at a hillvalley family event-if it's not there the guests complain-and Kotobuki lived up to our hopes and expectations. The sushi was fresh and delicious and came with enough soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger to feed two or three parties. There is no need to look any further for take out platters.

We ate there for dinner on New Year's Eve and every 10 minutes it seemed like someone was coming in for a party platter. What was the pricing like? Was it a platter surcharge on their a la carte pricing?