Porcelait

xcanuck

This food section in this week's Globe and Mail has some really interesting articles. This one is about a Quebec pork producer that sells piglets that have been raised on a diet of milk and vitamin supplements. The author of the article (a Toronto area professional chef) states that the "resulting meat is succulent, incredibly tender and lacking in the sometimes overwhelming "porky" taste one might associate with industrially raised pigs.".

Anyone ever heard of this in the States? The only producer I can find online is the one quoted in the article. They sell their product in the S Ont/QC area but apparently not for export to the US. I have to believe someone else is doing this.

I have to believe someone else is doing this.
Steven and I arrived at the farm to find Carl's sons, Olivier and Émile, climbing on a pile of sacks containing the secret formula of vitamin and mineral supplement that are fed to the pigs.

It seems counter-intuitive that the mixture is a secret (implying they make it themselves) but that they have multiple sacks of the stuff. Seems like something that is probably a commercial product and they just don't divulge their sources...maybe just some baby powder formula? :blink:

It seems counter-intuitive that the mixture is a secret (implying they make it themselves) but that they have multiple sacks of the stuff. Seems like something that is probably a commercial product and they just don't divulge their sources...maybe just some baby powder formula? :blink:
It's not counterintuitive at all if you've ever dealt with bulk feed - if you're buying the raw ingredients by the half-ton or ton, you really don't want to have to store them separately. Hence, the multiple bags of already mixed supplement.

It's not counterintuitive at all if you've ever dealt with bulk feed - if you're buying the raw ingredients by the half-ton or ton, you really don't want to have to store them separately. Hence, the multiple bags of already mixed supplement.

Yea, that hadn't occurred to me. Sounds plausible, but I still think baby formula would work wonders :blink: