Outstanding In The Field

clayrae

Don't know where I came across this organization, but love the idea (and the photos on the website)

Outstanding in the Field

They are doing an event in "DC" this year:

Dragon Creek Aqua Farm, Montross, VA: Washington, DC

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Host Farmer: Bruce Wood of Dragon Creek Aqua Farm, Montross, VA

Guest Chef: Anthony Chittum of Vermilion, Alexandria, VA

Price: $180

Time: 6:00 PM

For our D.C. area dinner, we head out to the coast, and another Outstanding in the Field first: dinner on an aqua farm. At Dragon Creek Aqua Farm, Bruce Wood (U.S.A.F., Ret.) tends 25 acres of Nomini Bay waters, farming oysters, and fishing for crabs, rockfish and eel, which he supplies to select area restaurants. We've brought our long table to ranches, orchards, vineyards, gardens, beaches, and a great many land farms, so we're excited to set it up for aquaculture, too. Chef Anthony Chittum of Vermillion Restaurant in Alexandria, VA, ventures out to this scenic seacoast location to show off a wealth of local ingredients -- especially the fruits of the sea.

Outstanding in the Field events feature a leisurely tour of the hosting farm followed by a five course, farm-style dinner at our long table set in a scenic spot. Dinner is accompanied by a wine paired with each course. Diners are joined at the table by the farmer, food producers, a winemaker and other local artisans associated with the meal.

I got tickets...has anyone ever been to one of these events?

Don't know where I came across this organization, but love the idea (and the photos on the website)

Outstanding in the Field

For our D.C. area dinner, we head out to the coast, and another Outstanding in the Field first: dinner on an aqua farm. At Dragon Creek Aqua Farm, Bruce Wood (U.S.A.F., Ret.) tends 25 acres of Nomini Bay waters, farming oysters, and fishing for crabs, rockfish and eel, which he supplies to select area restaurants. We've brought our long table to ranches, orchards, vineyards, gardens, beaches, and a great many land farms, so we're excited to set it up for aquaculture, too. Chef Anthony Chittum of Vermillion Restaurant in Alexandria, VA, ventures out to this scenic seacoast location to show off a wealth of local ingredients -- especially the fruits of the sea.

Outstanding in the Field events feature a leisurely tour of the hosting farm followed by a five course, farm-style dinner at our long table set in a scenic spot. Dinner is accompanied by a wine paired with each course. Diners are joined at the table by the farmer, food producers, a winemaker and other local artisans associated with the meal.

It sounds like one of my favorite PBS food programs "The Endless Feast"

(Chittum is also supposed to do a "farm to fork" dinner at Vermillion-perhaps this is scheduled or has happened already? The website isn't as up to date as Rustico's)

Outstanding in the Field

It is sold out.

Through what can only be characterized as a gigantic scheduling snafu, a friend of mine is unable to attend this event tomorrow.

She's got four tickets available and would love recoup as much of the value as possible. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Alex

Do any Don Rockwell members have information about directions to tonight's Outstanding in the Field dinner at Dragon Creek? It looks like there was a mixup with my contact information and I never received the info (and the date completely snuck up on me)! Anyone else going that got the info who could pass it along to a very anxious fellow diner?

Through a unbelievable set of circumstances, involving a teachers strike in Pennsylvania, I have an extra ticket to tonights Outstanding in the field dinner. You are welcome to join me,

I WILL BE LEAVING TAKOMA PARK BY 330pm!!!

PM me if you wanna come!

Rachel