On The Bookshelf...

I've already posted about this, but since this is a book thread....

You have to love the very first paragraph of Neal Rosenthal's new book, "Reflections of a Wine Merchant: On a lifetime in the vineyards and cellars of France and Italy" it really cuts to the heart of what he believes in:

I admit to a firmly held prejudice. I have a distinct preference for the traditional wines of western Europe and a matching skepticism about most of the wines produced in the New World as well as for those wines made in the Old World that seek to imitate the characteristics of their New World brethren. My perspective, once so common in the wine trade, is now shared by a small, probably aging, minority of wine merchants. Nevertheless, I am content with my choices."

Agree with him or disagree with him, at least Neal has a vision and belief that he adheres to and doesn't seek to please everyone or shift his position based upon prevailing popular opinion. I admire that.

I've already posted about this, but since this is a book thread....

You have to love the very first paragraph of Neal Rosenthal's new book, "Reflections of a Wine Merchant: On a lifetime in the vineyards and cellars of France and Italy" it really cuts to the heart of what he believes in:

Agree with him or disagree with him, at least Neal has a vision and belief that he adheres to and doesn't seek to please everyone or shift his position based upon prevailing popular opinion. I admire that.

Just finished this the other night. Not a prize winning piece of literature, but a good read from a man passionate about his craft. Some great stories and insights. Well worth the time and money.

It also helps that I generally enjoy the wines that he imports.

Maybe this belongs in a new thread, but what other book do you recommend?

(I figured I'd go ahead and start a new thread...)

Gary Regan's The Joy of Mixology I think is by far one of the most important books a cocktail enthusiast can own. Admittedly it's aimed more at someone trying to become a bartender, it appears, but it is by far the book I reference the most often.

David Wondrich's Imbibe! is a great history of cocktails coupled with good recipes and ideas.

Speaking of that word, the magazine Imbibe is incredibly useful - and also covers beer, wine, coffee, and tea.

Those are my big ones. I've got a bunch of other ones, but really, The Joy of Mixology and Imbibe! are the two most important on my shelf. I'm not fully up on a lot of them - I know there's New Classic Cocktails, for instance - and others might have other ideas, but I don't hesitate to suggest those first.

We're huge fans of Paul Harrington and Laura Moorhead's "Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century". We love it so much, it came to Japan with us. It is, unfortunately, out of print. Amazon sometimes has it; if you can get your hands on it, you'll be rewarded with great recipes, good stories, and beautiful artwork for each drink.