30th Birthday Dinner

kat6185

So... I'm turning 30 next Saturday and my family is coming to town to help me kick off my new decade in style!

I'm looking for ideas for a fun, unique, elegant dinner (no singing servers!) -- but comfortable. I know CityZen is fabulous but I also don't want to have to worry about laughing too loudly with my family.

I have reservations for Corduroy but have not been to the new location and am a bit concerned.

I would love to try Komi but am somewhat intimidated by my lack of understanding of their menu. Is it all prix fixe? Are 20 courses mandatory? How does it work?

Please help!

Kat

So... I'm turning 30 next Saturday and my family is coming to town to help me kick off my new decade in style!

I'm looking for ideas for a fun, unique, elegant dinner (no singing servers!) -- but comfortable. I know CityZen is fabulous but I also don't want to have to worry about laughing too loudly with my family.

I have reservations for Corduroy but have not been to the new location and am a bit concerned.

I would love to try Komi but am somewhat intimidated by my lack of understanding of their menu. Is it all prix fixe? Are 20 courses mandatory? How does it work?

Please help!

Kat

I'd stick with Corduroy. I loved the new space. The food is just as good as it always was. The tables have a nice distance between them, so your having a good time shouldn't bother anyone else.

I'd guess Komi's probably impossible on one week's notice. It's all prix fixe, but there's a shorter tasting menu and a longer degustation meal.

Kat,

I hope you will write after your dinner to let us know where you did dine and how it was.

I have never been to Corduroy, and only to CitiZen for a private party, but have been to Komi twice. My husband has been to all three, and he would emphatically recommend Komi. Although they tend to book up ahead, and don't accept walkins on weekends, it might be worth calling to try to get a table.

There are two choices on weekends: Dinner ($84 as of 6/28/08) and Degustation ($104). In the former, the diner is able to choose a pasta course and a meat course. In the latter, the diner is asked about dislikes and allergies, and all of the dishes are Chef's choice.

Either way, dinner starts with a series of "Mezzethakia"--a variety of small tastes of foods. It would not be correct to think of these as separate courses--more like a series of canapes, hors doerves, amuses. On 6/28 one was a shot glass of gazpacho, while another was a spoonful of scallop ceviche and super-thin slices of raw diver scallop edged with mustard/mayonnaise. Each of these amounts to one or two bites of food, and takes the diner on a real adventure, IMO. The pasta and meat courses are not huge, either. Thinking of them in the context of main dishes at an average restaurant is incorrect. They are the right amount in the context of the whole dinner (again, IMO).

Whether you order the dinner or the degustation, you will have many tastes of foods you might not find anywhere else. You'll also have fun, as many of the presentations are playful (make your own pita sandwiches of roast suckling pig, or bite into what looks like a crouton to get a mouthful of "Caeser salad". Last time I went, there was a nickel-sized cream puff harboring a tiny soft morsel of foie gras among the tastes.

I confess, I was full after the degustation, but not uncomfortably so--basically satisfied.

Whatever you choose, best wishes for a very happy 30th birthday!

While I agree with Pat and stick with Corduroy, you might also consider Marcel's, yes it can come across as stuffy, but it really isn't, and the food is exquisitely prepared.

One issue you might have with going to Komi (other than actually getting a reservation) is party size. They limit the size of each party, and I believe the largest they will seat is four.

I don't want to hijack, but I'm looking for birthday dining as well. The crowd will be me and my folks, and three friends - all well-versed foodies (and no vegetarians this year, makes it easier!)

Did Kaz Sushi last year, Courdroy the year before.

My favorite restaruant of the moment is Farrah Olivia, but I'm not so sure I want to go there with a crowd. Likewise Eve.

Contemplating Coco Sala. I mean, what better reason to go to a chocolate restaurant than a birthday? Any thoughts on that?

Have you considered Sushi-Ko?

I think I did Sushi-Ko for some birthday in my early 20's (back in the Kaz days). Without saying too much, I'll say I'm no longer in my 20's. (I think I did birthday #18 at Cities, if I really want to date myself there).

:lol:

I was there for the first time in ages a few months back. It was a fun and yummy experience, although I think I like the sushi at Kaz better?

but hmmm, neither here nor there, I think I'll put it on the shortlist. Thanks for the suggestion!

So, Kat, what did you decide? How did it go? I did my 30th (a few years back) at Equinox and it was memorable.

I tried to go with Sushi Ko (couldn't get it out of my head) but they couldn't take 6 on a Friday night. Made and then canceled reservations at Central - I decided love the food though I do, I wasn't feeling loud and fashionable enough.

Circle Bistro. I've never been there, so we shall see.

Obviously I've been celebrating waaay too much this month as I failed to update on the final result!

First, let me say it was a full weekend of fabulous food at Poste (first time, we'll be back!), 2 Amy's (Birthday eve farewell to the 20s), and Proof (a phenomenal meal from start to finish).

However, after thinking about how I wanted to ring in the new decade, I decided I wanted something somewhat low-key (I didn't want to be too aware of how loud we laugh), fun and new. We went to Hook and had a fabulous time. It was a great meal and a great meal experience. We all tried a fish that we had never had -- and often times had never heard of prior to the visit. It was a delicious way to kick off a new decade. :-)

Many thanks for all of the recommendations. My resolution for my shiny, fresh new decade is to be more adventurous! So, expect to see me at Corduroy, Sushi Ko, Citronelle, Komi and many, many, many more!

Cheers!