How Cell Phone Usage Changes Dining Rhythms and Service

DaveO

This is a fascinating article in attempting to analyze why at least one restaurant was getting lots of complaints about customer service and other issues; Evidently extensive customer usage of mobile phones has completely changed the rhythms in dining. Very interesting. Article

While I'm sure that smartphones have changed the dynamic in restaurants considerably, I would be shocked to learn that this is anything other than a hoax.

I have no idea if its a hoax or not.  I scanned through comments, of which there are thousands.  A few comments spoke "knowingly" of the phenomena of people overly using mobiles in restaurants.

I'm curious as to the reactions of the restaurateurs.    

The end "calculation" of an "average" dining experience changing from 1 hr to 2 hrs.....hm  that grabbed my attention.     Is that true or not?   That completely changes the restaurant calculus for table "turns" in an evening and makes for an incredible change.

While I'm sure that smartphones have changed the dynamic in restaurants considerably, I would be shocked to learn that this is anything other than a hoax.

If this is indeed a hoax, we may as well take "news" out of the name news.distractify.com.

I call BS on the numbers given.  No way!  But are cell phones changing the dining experience?  Yes.  A lot of tables get sat and then pull out cell phones.  And after the check is paid, a goodly portion of tables {10%?} will pull out their phones and either text or take pics.  It all adds time to the average turn. 

• Like 1

Having read Rich and Don's comments I researched the web site.  I agree with them and suspect the article is a hoax.  A specific restaurant was not referenced.

Of interest, the web site's strategy is to create and publish provocative articles, try and get them wide exposure and it makes money by carrying ads.  It works for this site.  They additionally raised $7 million in money to continue to do and grow their business.

And a portion of it, at least, is generated by probably creating "hoax" news.   The article was reasonably well crafted.  It drew me in.

I know nothing of the specifics of "turns" and if any data on it is quantified by the industry.  Meanwhile I suspect there is a "kernel of truth to the basic theme".   Diners do use their mobiles during dinners.    Dean's comments speak to that.

The impact of mobiles on dining habits and effects on restaurants might be an interesting thread in its own right, if it doesn't already exist...but if I had my druthers I'd generate it in a different thread so as not to give credit to the website that generated this story.

I'm sure there might be some exaggeration given in that original posting (Why did they post it on Craigslist? Why did they have exactly 45 customers in both samples)?, but I think Dean understands that there's  a kernel of truth to it.

Then look at Tom's chat for today, http://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-tom-7-16-14.html.  Right near the beginning is a cell phone issue that must be a nightmare for restaurateurs and would extend wait time.  Do you make the customer sitting down angry by saying they can't charge their phone on an adjoining table, or do you suck it up and not seat a table you might otherwise have occupied?

ETA:  There's an article on Slate about the viral Craigslist post.

• Like 2

"27 out of 45 customers asked their waiter to take a group photo."

Sixty percent of their customers? At lunch on a Thursday?

Doesn't pass the sniff test. Unless this is some sort of famous touristy joint where people go and want a pic to show they've been there.