Meridian Restaurant, Brightwood - Closed

Has anyone been to Meridian? (warning, the website is extremly irritating) It's at the corner of Georgia & Missouri Aves. The menu looks a little scattered, but since it's less than two miles from us, in a restaurant-starved area, I feel obligated to take one for the donrockwell.com team and give it a try one night this week.

5832 Georgia Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20011

Have not been but its received one or two positive mentions on our neighborhood listserve (not necessarily a good thing - some folks on there love Arucola!)

I too, am going to try to swing by as they deserve support for setting up shop in a nontraditional part of town.

Went there this weekend. We were coming from Silver Spring and meeting friends from the District so it was great halfway point. I guess there is a free parking lot accross the street (they have signs on each side of the building), but the fact that the building is on a corner of three streets intersecting made it difficult to find. We ended up having two park about two blocks down Georgia. Oh well!

It's definitely one of those places you really want to like. It's very nice inside and it was good to see that they were pretty busy. There was plenty of diversity among the customers there which is also nice to see in a DC restaurant. When we checked in with the hostess, she asked if we would like to hang our coat. I said sure and she pointed to a coat rack by the restrooms. Not a big deal but I think it's always a nice gesture to take the customers coat.

We were seated at a great table and our server was extremely attentive throughout the meal. They brought a bread basket that included a biscuit (with bacon and cheese), a muffin, and one other bread that I can't recall. They had two butters that unfortunatley were not described to us (one was on the garlicky side and the other was nice and spicy).

The beer list was woefully disppointing. All macrobrews and the only imports were Stella and Red Stripe. I settled on a Bud.

On to the food, I started with a spinach salad served with bacon and chile spiced pecans. The pecans were great but there were only about 5 of them in the salad. The dressing was bland (so bland that I can't remember what it was). The bacon was practically non-existent. My wife had the garden salad to start and she had the same complaints about her salad dressing and also felt that the quality of the tomatoes and cucumbers was pretty bad.

Things did get better with the entrees. I got the African Grilled Prawns over tasso ham cheese grits with andouille sausage. The Prawns were cooked perfectly and huge. The grits were creamier than most grits I had but the flavor was delicious nonetheless and the sausage had the perfect bite. My wife had the gumbo (chicken, crab, and andouille sausage). I loved the gumbo. I having spent four years in New Orleans and I can rarely find gumbo to match what they have down there. It was hearty, spicy, and had the perfect amount of delicious rice served with it.

For dessert, we shared the pecan bourbon tart, which had nice crunchy texture from the pecans and a delicious crust.

Price. Very reasonable. Can't remember exactly, but I think it came in around $70 pre-tax (I had two beers and my wife had a glass of wine) that I didn't mention.

All in all, I look forward to seeing it improve with experience and hope to try it again soon.

I guess what can be said about 'bland tomatoes' is that restauranst should carefully watch what is in season and what is out of season. Now granted I know that tomatoes are produced in other warm weather climates, or in greenhouses this time of year, but usually consistency is meely and quite bland.

I know one of the managers who was a part of the opening team and will pass on the info to her.

I went to Meridian with friends yesterday, and had a good time. I also enjoyed my and my friends' food -- crawfish mac and cheese, catfish, sauteed swiss chard, and scallops. Unfortunately, my first visit to Meridian will also be my last, since Meridian is closing for good on Tuesday. Last night, they were serving "The Last Supper", which included a buy one entree get one entree free special. The place has a nice vibe and I'm sad to see it close, particularly given the limited restaurant options in the neighborhood.

yup, noticed that tonight as I drove by - doors open, people inside and what looked like a couple of flat screen tvs on

ETA: missed Don's post but I don't think a menu with a $15 burger is necessarily a recipe for success in that space