Nags Head Dining

For the very first time, we will not be vacationing in either Duck or Corolla this year. Instead, we are trying Nags Head. We have never been there (except BBQ at Fat Man's), so have no idea what the dining scene is like. We will need a couple of good casual places and one "fine" dining place.

Perusing Chowhound, we read about Ocean Blvd and Kill Devil Grill for the more upscale dinner. Thoughts?

And, what do you like for more casual dining?

You'll be just a hop, skip, and jump away from Manteo, where we've been to 1587 in the Tranquil House Inn for fine dining and Adrianna's (pork pot pie!) for casual. Both down by the water in the historic district. Kill Devil Grill will be pretty casual. Have fun!

Perusing Chowhound, we read about Ocean Blvd and Kill Devil Grill for the more upscale dinner. Thoughts?

From your mention of Ocean Boulevard and Kill Devil Grill, I assume that you aren't limiting your choices to Nags Head proper. My favorite places from Kitty Hawk to Nags Head are:

Rundown Cafe (Kitty Hawk) -- Beach food with a Carribbean/Indian bent; not nearly a cool as the original place but still a great fish burrito; also good for vegetarians.

Awful Arthur's (Kill Devil Hills) -- I don't love this place, but it has a dependable raw bar and good steamed shrimp, so I always head back when I want either.

Jolly Roger (Kill Devil Hills) -- Great breakfast spot where it's always Christmas (and crowded); the front dining room is much more fun than the back/bar area.

Dare Devil Inn (Nags Head) -- Decent pizza; I've been getting their Stromboli (which is a cheese bomb) since I was 10.

Dune Burger (Nags Head) -- 50's era take-away burger shack with a couple picnic tables; food style is also 50's era, but a lot of fun.

I have been going to the Outer Banks several times a year for most of my life, so my picks are dated and, admittedly, born of nostalgia you obviously don't share. Nevertheless, I hope this helps. Also, a few recommendations off the main drag include the Weeping Radish Brewery, which relocated from Manteo to about 20 miles north of the island on 158, Blue Point in Duck, where I suspect you've already been, and Howard's Pub in Okracoke.

Another good place for breakfast is The Front Porch Cafe in either Nags Heal (MP 10 /2), Kill Devil Hills (MP 6) and Manteo. The coffee is good along with the croissants, muffins and scones. The service is usually quick if you have other things to do.

Another good place for breakfast is The Front Porch Cafe in either Nags Heal (MP 10 /2), Kill Devil Hills (MP 6) and Manteo. The coffee is good along with the croissants, muffins and scones. The service is usually quick if you have other things to do.

And not because it has anything to do with Nags Head, but because I am riding the porch theme like a 6-foot swell, the Back Porch in Ocracoke has been stellar for dinner the past several times I've visited. High quality seafood and steaks, interesting and seasonal dishes, lovely bar and wine selections. Porch seating is a treat.

Outer Banks small businesses have taken a harder hit than most during the past few, lean years. I believe Back Porch is still in business, but may want to call ahead to verify.

(ferry*)

(fairy)

(is there a third homophone?)

*Ocracoke access requires a ferry ride for your car

Any updates? We're going down for Memorial Day Week. I've only been to Ocean Blvd once and that was almost two years ago. We did like Kill Devil Grill and will definitely go back there. We'll probably drive to Blue Point as well.

Any updates? We're going down for Memorial Day Week. I've only been to Ocean Blvd once and that was almost two years ago. We did like Kill Devil Grill and will definitely go back there. We'll probably drive to Blue Point as well.

We've been to The Bad Bean for burritos each year we go. Can't recommend it highly enough. Try the barbacoa if they have it. For a casual dinner or lunch, it's a MUST. We go to the Corolla location, and they also have Bad Bean Baja Grill in KDH.

We'll be enjoying Bad Bean soon! I think we'll also revisit The Pearl too.

Can't. Wait.

(doggies too!)

One to add to the list - Food Dudes in Kill Devil Hills. Pork tacos and fish sandwich were delicious, the pork was juicy but kept its integrity. The homemade hot sauce was a good combo of hot, garlic, and sweetness. Okay beer selection for the area as well, no drafts but a few random semi obscure ones among a mexican centric list.

Kill Devil Grille, warning, gets crowded quick for lunch even on a Friday there was a small wait within 15-20 min of opening, although it could just be a holiday weekend uptick. Grouper (or Wahoo?) special was tasty even though the fish was a little over cooked. Fried chicken special went fast, all the orders were sold before the place filled.

A quick run-down of food around Nags Head.

1st dinner was at Miller's Watefront Restaurant - it fronts Roanoke Sound but there are no outdoor seating. The interior of the restaurant is very shabby (worn carpet and wood paneled interior), much like the timeshare we traded into. Our server was from an easter bloc country (with very good English) and he described the hush puppies as very dense donuts. Unfortunately he's right, they do taste like donuts and not hush puppies. We started with a seared ahi tuna appetizer that came with seaweed salad and some thick dipping sauce and wasabi. I tried to mix the wasabi into the sauce but the two didn't mix well. The fish was lightly seared but it tastes like it was cooked anyway. I ordered a fried soft-shell crab and fried flounder. They were decent when dipped in their house-made tartar sauce. My wife said her crab-cake sandwich is okay.

The 2nd dinner out was at The Pearl. It was a nice day and we chose to sit outside. You can see the ocean but not the beach because of the dune that separates the restaurant from the beach, which also blocks off some of the beach noise. The appetizer specials sounded good so we ordered them: smoked Bluefish, rabbit sausage, charcuterie plate. According to the menu online, we were supposed to receive complimentary pork rillets with the bread but we didn't get any. As for the smoke fish, I don't know if the fish itself tastes bad (only seen it prepared on Top Chef and was told it can be fishy) or the smoking process went awry - it was not appetizing. The rabbit sausage was kind of dry and bland. Even the charcuterie (breasola and 3 different sausages) was meh. My entrée was a special of sea bass, which was really overcooked and I gave up on it after a few bites. My wife enjoyed her lobster bisque and the wagyu steak for 2, which she shared with her mom. My brother-in-law ordered the shrimp etouffe and the shrimp I tried was tender and had nice flavor. Was it pure coincidence that all the specials sucked?

For lunch one day I decided to take a break from sandwiches and bought a little over 3 pounds of king crab legs ($16.99 per pound) and a sack of 50 littleneck clams ($13.99?) from Austin's Seafood. I later found king crab legs at Food Lion for $13.99. I cooked the clams in a pot of sauteed garlic, onions and parsley, and Yuengling lager. I loved it and everyone enjoyed the broth as a dipping sauce. The crab legs were simply steamed and delicious (but I don't know if it was worth $3 more per pound).

1st lunch out was on our way back from Hatteras, after we decided not to climb up the lighthouse. Nearby was Diamond Shoals restaurant (seafood and sushi) and market. The lunch menu had mostly sandwiches so I asked to see the dinner menu. At $9 per dozen, I ordered two dozen steamed little neck clams, and a fried grouper basket. The clams were good but the fried grouper was surprisingly good, the fish itself was moist and much better than the fish I had at Miller's.

3rd dinner out was at 1587. We had a nice view of Shallowbag Bay and I ordered a special - corn soup with shrimp salad - to start, a grilled quail salad, and crab cakes. I didn't taste anyone else's food but everything I ordered was delicious starting with creamy corn soup with a dollop of shrimp salad topped with fried spring onions? The quail was juicy and tasty. Finally, my crab cakes were meaty and filling (not as good as Faidley's but still very good). Everyone agreed it was the best food all week. My wife had the pasta roulade stuffed with ricotta cheese, my BIL had seared scallops with Asian slaw and a seafood pasta (scallops and shrimp), and my MIL had a steak.

2nd lunch out was at Kill Devil Grill. I sat at the bar by myself after my 4th round of golf for the week. Everywhere I went in OBX they seem to have Fat Tire Amber Ale (not sure why other than a good sales rep?). I had a very garlicky caesar salad and a fabulous soft shell sandwich. One thing that I can distinctly taste in the breading is black pepper. I didn't think it was overpowering, and I rather enjoyed it.

Last dinner out was at Sugar Creek on another beautiful evening. It was in the 70s and we chose to sit outside with a great view of Roanoke Sound. It was just my wife and me as my MIL and BIL offered to baby-sit the kid and pack for their overnight drive home to Ohio. The food probably wasn't much better than Miller's but I liked the idea of being able to sit outside. We had some fried pickles - they were sliced length-wise, probably kosher dill. I then had a bucket of shrimps (over 12), mussels (4), clams (4), crawdads (4), snow crab legs (half a crab), corn on the cob, and potatoes. I thought the seafood was a little overcooked but ice-cold Red Stripe was all that I needed. My wife had some nicely fried grouper with extra crispy skin (there was very little breading, if any).

post-4391-0-23235200-1307289054_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-77867600-1307289067_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-72354100-1307289080_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-81915100-1307289096_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-62049900-1307289113_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-07296900-1307289126_thumb.jp