Tuppers' Hop Pocket Beers

Apparently, the outstanding Tupper's Hop Pocket is back after an absence of several years since Budweiser bought out and eventually closed the Old Dominion brewery in Ashburn, Virginia, where Bob Tupper had his very special beer brewed. Because of the higher cost he now faces in its production, the beer is being sold in 4-packs. Probably for about $10.99, I'd guess.

Has anyone found any stores in Washington, D.C. or neighboring Maryland or Virginia who are selling Tuppers?

I haven't had any luck locating it.

Apparently, the outstanding Tupper's Hop Pocket is back after an absence of several years since Budweiser bought out and eventually closed the Old Dominion brewery in Ashburn, Virginia, where Bob Tupper had his very special beer brewed. Because of the higher cost he now faces in its production, the beer is being sold in 4-packs. Probably for about $10.99, I'd guess.

Has anyone found any stores in Washington, D.C. or neighboring Maryland or Virginia who are selling Tuppers?

I haven't had any luck locating it.

https://twitter.com/beerspotter might have an idea...try sending him a DM?

https://twitter.com/beerspotter might have an idea...try sending him a DM?

Folks on the DCBeer listserv have mentioned Rodman's and Rick's in Alexandria specifically as stocking it recently, and it's been spotted on tap around the area as well.

But $9 to $11 a 4-pack? Man. Tupper's used to be in my go-to rotation, but at those prices it'll be relegated to a once in a while nostalgic treat. I get that the economics of independent contract brewing are not ideal, but it's tough to swallow those prices in a crowded market full of good competition (see my thoughts in the Hopslam thread).

They usually have it on tap at Galaxy Hut. They also have the bottles at Wholefoods in Arlington . I agree it is a tad pricy at $ 9-11 for a 4 pack (more than it was as a 6 pack!). Hopefully they will be able ot bring the price down if they are able to reach a wider market (but the initial sticker shock probably doesn't help that long term goal).

Draft prices seem to be more in line with other beers in that quality/style range .

I saw it at Ch Ch Liquors last weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if Magruders picks it up soon.

They usually have it on tap at Galaxy Hut. They also have the bottles at Wholefoods in Arlington . I agree it is a tad pricy at $ 9-11 for a 4 pack (more than it was as a 6 pack!). Hopefully they will be able ot bring the price down if they are able to reach a wider market (but the initial sticker shock probably doesn't help that long term goal).

Draft prices seem to be more in line with other beers in that quality/style range .

So I'm guessing that this thread got re-dated when broke off, I guess... (I'm a dumbass and forgot about responding Friday night...though I'm certain we've talked about this before.)

Anyways, last night at the CFF Brewer's Ball I had a chance to speak with Mr. Tupper. He said that the beer I'd tasted before at Galaxy Hut (a few weeks ago) was probably from batch one, which had a bit of a "dusty" taste to it due to increased hopping. The batch I tasted last night (batch two) was much closer to what I remembered, but better - a more robust hop taste, I thought. I really enjoyed it.

He's a really cool guy. ;)

I had Hop Pocket Ale on tap at Hard Times Bethesda last Friday 4/23/10. Hard Times has always been a supporter of Tuppers. Incredibly, it was only $1.00 as they have a late night happy hour there. It was only about 8:00PM. I guess that qualifies as late here in wild and crazy Bethesda. It is ordinarily $5.50 per pint which I think is still an OK price. My bill for a beer and a bowl of chili was under $9.00. I was pleasantly surprised. The other craft beers on tap I think were $4.50 regularly. The beer was great. I do not keep notes but it seemed to be pretty much the same as it used to be. Three cheers for Bob, Ellie and Hard Times. All locals who are doing good things.

Well it looks like not just Hop Pocket Ale is back. I was pleasantly surprised to walk into my beer store of choice (Rick's Wine and Gourmet in Alexandria) and find stacks and stacks of Tupper's Keller Pils. $8.99/4 pack. I think I will have one now. Mmmmm.