Cubano (Cuban Sandwich)

Waitman

With all due respect, this isn't easy to make at home....

Why not?

(home = limited kitchen?)

(or overrun by starving hordes* of impatient teenagers?)

(or something else?)

*bwahaha just noticed my typo, if anyone has hoards of impatient teenagers, that probably belongs on another thread

Edited by KMango

Can you get the right bread in your 'hood? This might be my quest for the day.

You have to approximate the bread. Th best used to be Firehook "Cuban" bread (not surprisingly) but the local Salvadoran markets sell a decent cheap fake "French" roll that is not dissimilar from what I've had Cubanos on in Miami.

With all due respect, this isn't easy to make at home....

With all do respect, sure it is.* Frying a sandwich. Like A Reuben.

I am something of an apostate and do make a little homemade cumin-lime mayo for mine. But nothing up here is going to be exactly like the Miami version anyway. Why stress?

*Edited to add: If you do what we often do, and by a little more loin than we need for dinner, and devote the leftovers to the sandwich. So maybe not so spur-of-the-moment.

You have to approximate the bread. Th best used to be Firehook "Cuban" bread (not surprisingly) but the local Salvadoran markets sell a decent cheap fake "French" roll that is not dissimilar from what I've had Cubanos on in Miami.

I had no idea that Firehook made a "Cuban" loaf. I was planning to see what the Bestway here in TkPk could do for me.

Kibbe Nayee, Mrs. B makes a damned fine version of that. It can be done at home. The key is buttering the outside and pressing it.

Cuban sandwiches are not really too hard to make, especially if you have leftover pork loin like was mentioned above. Because I haven't found any authentic Cuban bread, including Firehook's, I make a medianoche, which the same ingredients but use sweet challah like bread. I use Trader Joe's challah knots with great success. To make the sandwich, cut challah in half, add bit of mustard, add layer of thin sliced pork loin,add ham, and swiss cheese, pickle, and George Foreman for five minutes. Add butter on both side to get it really right, as Kibbe suggests.

Ignacio

Attached is a link to an Off the Broiler picture of one.

518577669_2addc00f41.jpg?v=0

Cuban sandwiches are not really too hard to make, especially if you have leftover pork loin like was mentioned above. Because I haven't found any authentic Cuban bread, including Firehook's, I make a medianoche, which the same ingredients but use sweet challah like bread. I use Trader Joe's challah knots with great success. To make the sandwich, cut challah in half, add bit of mustard, add layer of thin sliced pork loin,add ham, and swiss cheese, pickle, and George Foreman for five minutes. Add butter on both side to get it really right, as Kibbe suggests.

Ignacio

Attached is a link to an Off the Broiler picture of one.

518577669_2addc00f41.jpg?v=0

Nicely done! The challah knots appear to flatten just right.

Whatever you do, do not let the pleasant daydreams aroused by this thread (or your own recent successful forays into quasi-Cubanohood) lure you into ordering the Cubano at Capital City Brewing.

Not under any circumstances.

Ironically, the Cubano truck mentioned above seems to hang out at Mass and North Cap -- footsteps from Cap City -- on a regular basis. Sadly, it wasn't there yesterday.

I am something of an apostate and do make a little homemade cumin-lime mayo for mine. But nothing up here is going to be exactly like the Miami version anyway. Why stress?

This sounds good! The sandwich at Cuba de Ayer in Burtonsville is far too dry for me, although from what I understand "dry" is supposed to be a virtue. What are your proportions for cumin-lime mayo? I have been making mayo from Paul Prudhomme's recipes in his family cookbook.

This sounds good! The sandwich at Cuba de Ayer in Burtonsville is far too dry for me, although from what I understand "dry" is supposed to be a virtue. What are your proportions for cumin-lime mayo? I have been making mayo from Paul Prudhomme's recipes in his family cookbook.

Actually, butter should be used to moisten the sandwich. A Cuban sandwich should not be dry. Also, there are many variations of Cuban-type sandwiches. There is no rigid orthodoxy, just look at the menu at a Cuban restaurant in Miami at the link below. My favorite is the crouqueta preparada, which is Cuban sandwich with ham croquettes. Probably the oddest combo is the Elena Ruz, which is Turkey, cream cheese,and strawberry jam. So don't be afraid to experiment.

Ignacio

http://www.latinamericangrill.net/Sandwiches.html

I don't really have a recipe. The key is roasting the cumin and coriander seed to just smoking and then grinding it. Then I just make mayo (with canola, mot olive oil) and leave it a little thick so that, theoretically, it will hold more lime juice without getting runny. Then just throw stuff in until it tastes right.