Dining in Greektown

I know an older Greek gentleman who swears by Ikaros in Baltimore's Greektown, also Zorba's Bar and Grill. I've never been to either, so I can't say for sure (from what I've heard him say, his taste in food outside of the Greek realm is suspect, but he was the one who first recommended Mykonos in Rockville to me, and I like that place well enough).

And I've always wished Greek Taverna in McLean got a bit more attention. Although I haven't been there in a couple of years now, I've enjoyed it in the past many times. If they have the lamb-shoulder special with lemon sauce and fried potatoes, get it (they also occasionally offer a Yiouvetsi which is less vibrant).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Ikaros used to be the place in Baltimore's Greektown, but Acropolis across the street is a much better choice now....my Greek mon even liked it!

watch for the Greek Church festivals, they serve the best stuff made by the "ya-ya's"

Aside from the place on Connecticut, where else would you go for good Greek food? I know, there's Zaytinya, but I'm looking for something that's entirely Greek, not referential.

And, is there a specific occasion that warrants plate throwing, or is it just for fun?

Melissa --

There really is nothing like Baltimore's Ikaros for old-school Greek food. The dolmades are fat, and the avgolemono soup think and lemony. Although the vegetables are frequently overdone, the entrees are the classic expression of Americanized Greek fare; indeed, I wish I could drive up to Charm City right now for piece of their moussaka. What's more, dining there is like stepping into a serious time warp. The Kohilas boys haven't changed a thing for years -- well, certainly not since I started eating there as a very young kid in the early 1980s. I must admit, though, that I haven't been to the aforementioned Acropolis up in Greektown.

Closer to home, my grandfather swears by the Mykonos Grill in Rockville. I've only eaten there once. And although you don't get much bang for your buck, the atmosphere is sufficiently classic and the food more than decent.

Michael

Anybody heading to Baltimore for Greek food should not miss going to Samos in Greektown (Oldham near Eastern). It's an informal homey byob - there used to be a package store across the street with a good selection of Greek wines, but it's gone. It's a true mom and pop (in this case more pop than mom) and it has an open kitchen so you can see them putting everything together. They make their own dolmades, spanikopita, and avgolomeno soups and a lot of other things. What I like the best is the tiny lamb chops and the spit roasted lamb and souvlaki. They also have a combination platter that has a ton of stuff on it for four people - all at bargain prices. Call ahead - I learned the hard way that they close for vacation sometime in the summer. And it is cash only - not that you'll need a whole lot, except to tip the wait staff who are terrific.

It is true that Samos gets the people's choice award for Greektown and with good reason. The portions are huge, the pita is buttery and chicken is tender. It is BYOB. It often gets so overcrowded that Nick hangs a sign on the door turning people away for the rest of the evening. The last time this happened to us, we went to Zorba’s. I liked it. The night we were there, the place was packed. And, unlike Samos, it was packed with Greek people. It was so filled with Greek people that we were a bit of a novelty act at the bar as we sat waiting for a table, drinking retsina. The Greeks, meanwhile, continued to smoke, drink, watch soccer, listen to Greek pop music (btw, why is horrible pop music so much more palatable when it is in a foreign language?) and have very boisterous conversations.

Zorba’s is a long, narrow space with a bar and a few tables on the first floor and a second floor dining room. At the end of the downstairs room is the grill. You can see all sorts of critters turning on the spit and your experience at Zorba’s will be best if you stick to the spit. Get a piece of charcoal grilled meat of your choice, the potatoes and the green beans with tomatoes. The green beans will be badly overcooked. I like them anyway. There is a good chance you will take half your dinner home with you.

Another mom-n-pop place in Greektown is Mylos. I had lunch there not too long ago and it wasn’t bad. My least favorite of the three but I’d be willing to go back. Grilled fish with those same potatoes and overcooked green beans that I just can’t seem to stop eating. The woman who took our order made the food. It was uncrowded and very quiet. When we told her we were too full for dessert she gave us some anyway.

The best thing about daytime visits to Greektown is sampling the baklava from the Greek Village Bakery and the Greektown Bakery. I don’t know enough about Greek food to name all the varieties but I love the stuff that looks like it has shredded wheat on the top. And, there are several “social” clubs along Eastern Avenue…if you can tolerate the smoke, they are great places to stop in for a Turkish coffee and an interesting cultural experience.

watch for the Greek Church festivals, they serve the best stuff made by the "ya-ya's"
Did anyone go to the Baltimore Greek Festival last weekend? The gyro and moussaka in the church basement was excellent, but there was NO food at the outside tables until 1 pm or so Sunday (it was supposed to start at 11am) and there was almost no one there when we left around 2pm

I truly hope there were bigger crowds on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,

Kevin

I've been to a number of the Greek joints in Bawlmer, and wasn't impressed. I've enjoyed meals in Greece, but I suspect a lot of it had to do with the wonderful atmosphere (i.e. views of the Parthenon, relaxing seaside on the Aegean).

Dare I suggest that Greek cuisine just ain't all that?

Case in point: the parents of Komi Chef Johnny Monis own a red sauce Italian spot.

If you want authentic family greek food try Dimitri's International Grille in Catonsville outside of Baltimore (I think its on Frederick Rd right before you get to Ellicott City. The best Gyro and moussaka in town, also skordiya, taramaslata, grape leaves, saganaki, spinach and rice, and other favs.

If you want authentic family greek food try Dimitri's International Grille in Catonsville outside of Baltimore (I think its on Frederick Rd right before you get to Ellicott City. The best Gyro and moussaka in town, also skordiya, taramaslata, grape leaves, saganaki, spinach and rice, and other favs.

When I used to work in the UMBC Tech Park, we would go to Dimitri's for lunch at least once a month. By far, the best gyro I have ever eaten. It's that good, and worth a drive. I never got past that and the Greek salad on the menu, because it was impossible not to order the gyro.

When I used to work in the UMBC Tech Park, we would go to Dimitri's for lunch at least once a month. By far, the best gyro I have ever eaten. It's that good, and worth a drive. I never got past that and the Greek salad on the menu, because it was impossible not to order the gyro.

I was the Chef there in 2001 and the family knows there food... Try the Beef kabob also and spinach pie... We made the spinach pie from scratch every morning...its not from Sysco like others....

• Like 1