Kids' Restaurant Week

dcaCRL

FYI - Cookie/Gourmet's Kids' Restaurant Week is coming to DC this year, with special prix fixe menus from 5-7pm at more than a dozen local restaurants. Kids under 12 pay their age and a portion of proceeds go to Miriam's Kitchen and Eastern Market's restoration.

(Those who hate dining with kids may want to consult the list to see which restaurants to avoid next week, at least before 7pm.)

FYI - Cookie/Gourmet's Kids' Restaurant Week is coming to DC this year, with special prix fixe menus from 5-7pm at more than a dozen local restaurants. Kids under 12 pay their age and a portion of proceeds go to Miriam's Kitchen and Eastern Market's restoration.

(Those who hate dining with kids may want to consult the list to see which restaurants to avoid next week, at least before 7pm.)

What restaurants would you go to from this list ? Is the Lafayette a deal ?

thanks for the info

Cafe du Parc, Dino, Firefly, Zola.

I like Taberna, but I can't imagine bringing kids there, and they screw up the regular restaurant week so spectacularly that I wouldn't even dream of going there for this promotion.

Dino's also doing a small cooking class for kids 5 to 11 yo in honor of Kid's Restaurant Week on Sunday the 14th from 1 to 3 pm. $25 per kid...learning how to prepare polenta and pasta. Chaperone's get a comp glass of wine while they watch. :D Call the restaurant at 202.686.2966 to reserve space.

This was distributed by the Washingtonian today and I thought I'd copy it here in case anyone was interested....

Modeled on the popular semiannual Restaurant Week, Kids’ Restaurant Week will serve up sophisticated but kid-friendly creations priced according to your child’s age. Eight-year-olds will eat for $8, nine-year-olds for $9, up to age 11. Parents can also score prix-fixe menus for a price still to be determined (don’t worry, your age won’t factor in).

The list of restaurants includes Art and Soul and Juniper at the Fairmont Hotel. Destination DC communications director Rebecca Pawlowski says a total of 20 restaurants are expected to take part.

The event is being organized by Destination DC in conjunction with Cookie and Gourmet magazines, which launched the program last year in Chicago.

Also of note was a comment from our friends at Dino..

Dino is also holding a Kid’s Pasta & Polenta cooking class on Sunday, June 14th to kick off the week. Cost is $25. Sign up by calling the restaurant at 202.686.2966.

I featured some of the restaurants and their menus. http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6895-DC...taurant-Week-DC

I will check on Zola on Sunday

I wonder if any of the participating places will post menus. We're dealing with a food allergy so knowing the options in advance is critical for us. But this could be a great deal for us--last trip to Dino, I think BLToddler's food bill was higher than mine!

Here is an article with menus

Many of the restaurants now have their menus linked on the restaurant week website. Zola's four-cheese fusili was quite a hit at the kick-off Saturday at Eastern Market. Firefly's menu isn't posted for some reason, but here's what they're serving:

Lil’ Kidz’ Meals

Ages 11 & under

Pay your age!

Choose an entrée and decorate your own cookie!

a cheeseburger “bigger than your head” & vegi sticks (or fries)

BLT sam’which & vegi sticks (or fries)

mac n cheese with sweet peas

Big Kidz’ Meals

Ages 12 to Mom & Dad

$29

first

local tomato gazpacho cheddar cheese crackers

chicken matzoh ball soup family recipe

the wedge iceberg lettuce, bacon bits, great hill blue cheese dressing

lollo rossa salad green goddess dressing, olive oil croutons, white anchovies

deviled eggs hard boiled egg, dried capers & garlic chips

second

porcini mushroom & fiddlehead fern casserole pea greens & pickled ramps

seared yellowfin tuna BLT with avocado on multigrain bread, lollo rossa salad

chicken confit pot pie maitake, english peas, pearl onion, cauliflower puree, rosemary biscuit

braised lamb & fresh pappardelle pasta elysian fields’ lamb shoulder, ramps, mascarpone

½lb beef hamburger VT cheddar, apple wood bacon, onion roll, truffle fries, fixins

third

apple brown betty mascarpone-berry ice cream, butterscotch sauce

chocolate pot de crème coffee foam, bittersweet cocoa, vanilla wafer

red velvet cake cream cheese frosting, chocolate pearls, strawberry sauce

seasonal sorbet salty oat cookie

Cheeseburger, BLT, mac&cheese?

Good god, why bother? My kids are 9 and 11; so at $9 and $11, that's probably higher than menu price if they ordered off the ADULT menu for such items.

My kid is 2 and he wouldn't eat any of that. The gazpacho and the fiddlehead fern casserole he'd be all over. And then I'd have to order a cheese plate for him too. Scratching Firefly off the list... I'll look at the other menu's since we have company this weekend and it would be nice to go out for something fun.

Well 6 nights into Kid's Restaurant Week and it is clear that there is a subset of parents teaching their kids the age old tradition of no showing for reservations. During the week we average 1 or so no show reseravtions. During KRW we have averaged about 5. :D

Well 6 nights into Kid's Restaurant Week and it is clear that there is a subset of parents teaching their kids the age old tradition of no showing for reservations. During the week we average 1 or so no show reseravtions. During KRW we have averaged about 5. :D

I showed up for mine, ... :blink: , your place kinda reminds me of Olivetos in Oakland, havent been to Olivetos with kids though so can't relate the experience .....

It's possible that people with kids have more variables, but that doesn't excuse them from calling....

Given that we are nearly fully booked for the kids week portion of the night, we have been calling no shows to see if they are late or just made the ressie {them or us} on the wrong night etc.

Our rate of late cancellations is also thru the roof. Last night, for example, we had something like 7 reservations for 30 covers cancel after 4pm for reservation from 5 to 6:30. Wednesday we had a part of 12 cancel early in the afternoon which meant that I had three tables to rebook that day. Did not happen, but they would have been full if we had a day or two to have them on open table. Should I over book? Then what happens on days when everyone shows up?

Several calls have been answered while at another restaurant. Another large portion the answer was "we forgot to cancel". Not only does this affect the restaurant's and the servers' incomes, it also means that others who wanted to dine during KRW are denied the chance.

Several calls have been answered while at another restaurant. Another large portion the answer was "we forgot to cancel". Not only does this affect the restaurant's and the servers' incomes, it also means that others who wanted to dine during KRW are denied the chance.

And, from your tone, I believe that it probably endangers your participation if they do this again next year.

Any way of providing feedback to the sponsors?

I know of so many restaurnanteurs who compalin of these issues. I wish that more restuarnts would be moreproactive. Call Tom Sietsema nd post on his chat. Call Todd Klimana nd post on his chat. Post here on DR.com. Call alll guests who no show after their reservations just to confirm that they didn't make a mistake when making their reservations. If all restauranteurs would do something, so that no showers would get more of an idea that there is an issue, a cost of no showing, then it would become less socially acceptable to no show without a call. This affects everyone, restauranteurs and guests who show up for their reservations alike! We call to confirm and still folk don't show up. We could always hire someone who could send faxes to our reseravtions and get signed no show cancellation contracts but if I am the only one doing it, I am just an asshole (which I may be in general, but I digress). WHen this topic comes up, the emphasis is on what the restaurant can do, but just as in the dress code thread, the issue is folk who flout the rules! If a restaurant has a dress code, follow it or don't show up. If you make a reseravtion, honor it or call. DOn';t jsut show up with 8 when you reserved for 6 (or vice versa), or don't no show!