Bittman's 110 Summer Salads

zoramargolis

To make good on the title of this thread, why not post nine more salad "recipes"?

I love Bittman, too (when he's not being his new, preachy self which I don't mind too much), but who has leftover hot dogs to put in a salad and who has leftover hot dogs who would actually put them in a salad? Ergo, more than nine more salads would be fine.

I love Bittman, too (when he's not being his new, preachy self which I don't mind too much), but who has leftover hot dogs to put in a salad and who has leftover hot dogs who would actually put them in a salad?

That's what happens when you have a high concept title that precedes the content. (Like Rachael Ray's recent "365 Great Easy Recipes" book--or whatever it is actually called. I'm sure that a huge # of those dishes feature hot dogs.) Bittman must have been banging his head against the wall to come up with recipes to fulfill the upper end of his title #.

To make good on the title of this thread, why not post nine more salad "recipes"?

I love Bittman, too (when he's not being his new, preachy self which I don't mind too much), but who has leftover hot dogs to put in a salad and who has leftover hot dogs who would actually put them in a salad? Ergo, more than nine more salads would be fine.

My sister-in-law likes to make a salad with Bibb lettuce and Napa cabbage with cilantro. For Father's Day, we made a salad along these lines that's very nice for summer: Red and green butter lettuce, Napa cabbage, cilantro, and avocado, with lime-evoo dressing.

I'll also toss out another salad idea I put together from one of Bittman's older "101" lists.* I love to put leftover steak over salad so I don't destroy it by reheating, but I hadn't set out before to cook steak to make a steak salad. From this:

62 Southeast Asia steak salad: Pan- or oven-grill skirt or flank steak. Slice and serve on a pile of greens with a sauce of one tablespoon each of nam pla and lime juice, black pepper, a teaspoon each of sugar and garlic, crushed red chili flakes and Thai basil.

63 Miso steak: Coat beef tenderloin steaks (filet mignon) with a blend of miso and chili paste thinned with sake or white wine. Grill or broil about five minutes.

I broiled NY Strip steaks coated with #63's ingredients and served it with/over a mixed green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. I almost went with the #62 dressing, but I wasn't sure how much the kids who were coming would tolerate.

*NYT, July 18, 2007, "Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less"

To be fair, Bittman didn't title his list "101 Equally Delicious Summer Salads." :rolleyes:

Here's my pretentious aphorism for the day:

In all things, including cookbooks, one must not suspend one's critical faculties and follow blindly, but always question authority.

To be fair, Bittman didn't title his list "101 Equally Delicious Summer Salads." :rolleyes:

In all things, including cookbooks, one must not suspend one's critical faculties and follow blindly, but always question authority.

That one recipe was an attempt at a deconstructed Chicago hot dog. Interesting concept, but I can't say I'd be excited to try it. It might appeal to some kids, though. I noticed that some other recipes were of a similar sort (e.g., the deconstructed summer/spring roll, where the rice paper is soaked and then sliced into "noodles.")

To be fair, Bittman didn't title his list "101 Equally Delicious Summer Salads." :huh:

Anyone who uses "ergo" in a post could use a little solidarity :rolleyes:.

What makes a salad a salad?

In the summer I like a can of tuna in water, drained, mixed with a cut up apple, and fat free miracle whip. I LOVE this stuff. I don't know why because it sounds gross as I read it back to myself.

chacun a son gout--but you lost me at fat free miracle whip.