Topping For Apple Crepes

porcupine

Okay, this isn't an emergency, but I need ideas, because I'm drawing a blank. Dessert for a party is going to apples and sugar (and maybe a touch of calvados) cooked in butter over gentle heat until soft and caramelized ( they way apples are in a tart tatain), then folded into crepes, then topped with... what? Not caramel sauce, because the apple themselves will be nicely caramelized. Not whipped cream because, well, it's boring. I want something more interesting. Something that complements the apples without overwhelming them. Maybe even something a little tart since the apples will be so sweet. Any ideas?

How about a light custard sauce flavored with cardamom or cinnamon? Not the tartest solution, but could be nice.

Funny you should mention that - I tripped across a creme anglaise recipe while looking up the crepe recipe. I think that's what I had in mind. Maybe with a splash of calvados. Still, if people have other ideas, I'd love to read them.

Not whipped cream because, well, it's boring.

Not in my world...
I want something more interesting. Something that complements the apples without overwhelming them. Maybe even something a little tart since the apples will be so sweet. Any ideas?
Stilton mousse

Cheddar semi-freddo

Blackberry-3-Way: thinned, gingery preserves (syrup), sous vide and powdered, folded into mascarpone foam; or you could do spherification w the mascarpone, instead

Toasted walnut pesto w smoked fleur de sel and Greek-style yogurt from Blue Ridge Dairy

I love these ideas - thanks, everyone. MrP will go nuts for blue cheese mousse. I'm going to try cheddar semifreddo in the near future. But for this time, I'll go with mascarpone, maybe with a little softly beaten whipped cream for texture.

And slap the following into your spice cabinet for your next apple dessert adventure (choose the Divine Desserts variety):

http://www.fennelpollen.com/

For the prolific apples that come with my CSA, I've been using this as a simple topping over cooked apples. It also transforms them if added before baking or sauteing. Crazy complementary flavor, especially for a zero calorie item.