Sophisticated...2-year-old?

Lucy

Here's a fun one: An old friend of mine is coming to the area on business, staying somewhere on the Rockville Pike. We're to meet for dinner on a Thursday night, and...he wants to see my almost-2-year-old. I used to be very familiar with the Bethesda dining scene, but, you know, I haven't gotten out much in the past couple of years (and yes, I am dying to). Anybody got great suggestions for a family-friendly but not too noisy restaurant in the area? I absolutely do not want to go to the Rio Grande, the Austin Grill, or Cafe Deluxe; I'd rather go more upscale. (We'll be eating early, and the kid is pretty good, so we might be able to get away with a slightly fancier place.) The only place I can think of is Il Pizzico (and I am recalling that it's usually quite crowded).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a fun one: An old friend of mine is coming to the area on business, staying somewhere on the Rockville Pike. We're to meet for dinner on a Thursday night, and...he wants to see my almost-2-year-old. I used to be very familiar with the Bethesda dining scene, but, you know, I haven't gotten out much in the past couple of years (and yes, I am dying to). Anybody got great suggestions for a family-friendly but not too noisy restaurant in the area? I absolutely do not want to go to the Rio Grande, the Austin Grill, or Cafe Deluxe; I'd rather go more upscale. (We'll be eating early, and the kid is pretty good, so we might be able to get away with a slightly fancier place.) The only place I can think of is Il Pizzico (and I am recalling that it's usually quite crowded).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Lucy, here are a few more:

In Bethesda: the front room at Grapeseed, Black's Bar and Kitchen, Mia's Pizzas, and maybe Visions

in Rockville: Bobby's Crabcakes, Spice X-ing, Seven Seas, La Canela, Joe's Noodle House, and maybe Amici Miei

Cheers,

Rocks

Hi Lucy, here are a few more:

In Bethesda: the front room at Grapeseed, Black's Bar and Kitchen, Mia's Pizzas, and maybe Visions

in Rockville: Bobby's Crabcakes, Spice X-ing, Seven Seas, La Canela, Joe's Noodle House, and maybe Amici Miei

Cheers,

Rocks

I'll second Bobby's but will note that there is no changing table in the restrooms. When the weather is nice, we've gone outside to the benches to do a diaper change. We'd probably go back to the car now. Rockville Town Square is a nice area because my 2.5 year old loves to run around and people watch there. Plus he LOVES Toy Kingdom.

Thanks to all for such prompt and helpful responses. I will cull the list according to my whim (I'll probably lose Mia's, which I agree sounds perfect for the occasion, just because I eat so much pizza lately) and offer my friend a choice of three or so. Dinner is next Thursday; I'll report back if it's a huge success (or huge disaster).

We ended up at Passage to India, which was a little quiet that night (my daughter's every squeak seemed magnified) but perfectly welcoming. The service was great, the food good (I'd say great except that the fried-vegetable appetizer, which we'd ordered with my daughter in mind, seemed very far from fresh), the evening an unqualified success. I'm very grateful for the advice!